What's new

Simultaneous dual-band AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JdeFalconr

New Around Here
Thanks in advance for the assistance, folks.

I'm looking to purchase a new AP for my home. The key feature I want for it is simultaneous 2.4/5ghz operation. I'm happy purchasing some enterprise-level hardware although I'll need something standalone and not requiring an additional controller, unless the control solution is something purely software-based. Other features are all nice-to-have's only in my opinion.

My home is just under 1,000 square feet in an apartment building. I already have my own hardware firewall/router as well as a Cisco switch so at this point I just need the access point piece.

Current contenders are the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro and the Amped Wireless AP20000G. I'm still looking at those options, perhaps the Amped Wireless device a bit more due to its significantly lower cost (around $141 on Amazon vs $240 for the Unifi Pro). I'd even considered going with the Unifi basic unit which is currently only $70 on Amazon and foregoing the 5ghz band altogether. However I'm open to other options and while less expensive is often better I am open to spending more dollars to get something that really rocks.

If you have other recommends I'd certainly apprecaite them.

Thank you!

For whatever reason it looks like everyone is shying away from providing an answer. Is there additional information that would be helpful to you all to provide? Have I unknowingly asked a stupid question, or perhaps a difficult one?

If I can work with you somehow towards an answer it would not only benefit me but the next person who comes here with the same question. I see from searching that a number of people have asked about dual-band products but everyone seems to be after a router, not an access point.

I realize I could buy a router and turn off the routing features but at that point I figure I could also purchase an AP of greater quality for equal price by not paying for features I will never use and complexity that makes configuration and troubleshooting more difficult.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Are you trying to hook up the AP to your regular router? Or would it be best you just get a new wireless router instead of a AP?

Asus RT-AC66U for instance.

Thanks for the suggestion. In this case I'm trying to connect a new AP to my existing router by way of a Cisco Catalyst switch. My router is a M0n0wall firewall/router device which I don't care to replace.

Dedicated APs tend to be fairly expensive. If you don't need anything hardcore (weatherproof, etc) I'd suggest a Linksys E3000 router, flash it with Tomato firmware, then just use it as a simultaneous dual-band access point not router. Works nicely and you can get refurbs for $75 on Amazon. Just an idea.

I am also of thinking of replacing an existing AP (WNDR3700 converted to AP). The AP20000G looks enticing. Wondering if I could buy two of these, share the same SSID and put them at opposite corners of the house to get great overall coverage? Have seen differing reports as to how well clients switch between APs based upon signal strength. Anybody have experience with this one?

The UniFi PRO looks nice, not sure if this would do better in this regard. It's a lot more money, however, compared with the Amped AP.

Yes you can do that

I had a good changeover when I had mine named the same... I later renamed them to be different so people know what one they are connected to to make it easier for them.

Dedicated APs tend to be fairly expensive. If you don't need anything hardcore (weatherproof, etc) I'd suggest a Linksys E3000 router, flash it with Tomato firmware, then just use it as a simultaneous dual-band access point not router. Works nicely and you can get refurbs for $75 on Amazon. Just an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion! My only concern there would be stability of the device. Part of why I want to replace my existing AP is its need for periodic resets and the Web administration page going down every so often. That and longevity... I want whatever I get to last a long time and I have yet to have a good experience with a refurbished device of any kind.

you could re-purpose an 802.11b/g/n WiFi router to be an AP. Simple.
Same, for one capable of 802.11a if your client devices have 802.11a capable WiFi hardware.

I recommend one or both of the above, for an AP, rather than trying to find a dual band simultaneous AP. $$$$$

802.11ac needs another year for practical use rather than those that like to fiddle with new standards' products.

JdeFalconr

I bought the AP20000G and love it. I have had no problems at all, super stable and strong connections thoughout my house

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I ended up going with the AP20000G. I'll install it and be sure to post my thoughts after.