What's new

Simultaneous or Seperate 802.11g router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

supreme45

New Around Here
hi im wondering is there any difference in terms of performance or any other attribute between using one router that has simultaneous capability of 2.4ghz and 5ghz for example the Linksys WRT400N and using two different routers one for your 5ghz devices and another for your 2.5ghz devices, thank you

One internet service provider connection = one router.
A consumer wireless router is in fact a router plus a WiFi access point, all-in-one.

So to use dual-band (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz, you can

Use a dual-band router (one box). $$$$$$

Use a WiFi access point for one of the bands, say, 5.8GHz.

Use a WiFi ROUTER configured to be an access point. To do this, you configure it for security, SSID, and so on, then disable its DHCP server. Then connect a LAN port on it to a LAN port on the WiFi router. The WAN port goes unused.

thanks for your reply, so regardless of price is there a difference between those methods in terms of performance? which do you believe is the optimal method?

Unless the router can handle the load of both bands without a sluggish behavior. E3000, WNDR3700 and TEW-673GRU these have more muscle as they're design for heavy-duty to extreme usage thus cost more than $140.

2.4GHz wireless client G54 & N65/450

5GHz wireless client A54 & N65/450

Everything has its limit. Take a look at these stress tests:
Cisco Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT610

Unless you have a lot of wired traffic to/from a 100 Mbps ISP connection, it's unlikely that your wireless performance will be limited by CPU power.

Everything has its limit. Take a look at these stress tests:
Cisco Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT610

Unless you have a lot of wired traffic to/from a 100 Mbps ISP connection, it's unlikely that your wireless performance will be limited by CPU power.

But the reason why a faster NPU, a double the i-cache and d-cache and double the RAM going to be plus on the LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN. I've tested 150Mhz with 8MB, 200Mhz 16MB, 266MHz, 32MB, 276MHz, 16MB, 384MHz, 32MB, 400MHz, 32MB & 680MHz, 64MB. There is a vast difference routing over the wired vs wireless. I need to do 680MHz 64MB AP test again. Last time data connections were quick. I haven't tested out the E3000 (WRT610n) yet. So your results will be different than mine. I see no difference except for media streaming using 256x vs 16x FF/RW over 680MHz has no lag.

thanks again for replying guys, ok so ive been doing alot of homework and reading through a bunch of different articles on this site and on google it almost feels like im taking a college class, forgive me for getting very detailed and having to have everything explained, im just trying to make sure i get my moneys worth and have the optimum setup for my home network

couple of questions:

1. tipster mentioned the router (Trendnet TEW-673GRU) i could not find a stress test for this router on this site, is there one made yet?

2. to my understanding Wireless G operates at 2.4 GHz, and Wireless N operates at 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Correct?

3. thiggins you said "Unless you have a lot of wired traffic to/from a 100 Mbps ISP connection", well i have 2 desktops on my network which are connected through a wired 100mbs ethernet cable they are not doing much downloading/streaming they're just for messaging and web surfing, so will my wireless performance be affected in anyway?

4. are all ethernet cables able to utilize gigabit speed? or do i have to buy a ethernet cable that has this standard, i know that certain computers which are older don't have a gigabit ethernet slot so i would have to buy internal gigabit adapters for them.

last thing, judging from those stress tests of the Cisco Linksys E3000/Linksys WRT610, i definitely DO NOT want to buy those and i read your stress test on the Netgear WNDR3700 and was impressed by it from what you had written, but when i read the mixed reviews at the bottom people kept complaining about the firmware and it turned me off a little, i just saw a video on youtube of the TRENDnet TEW-673GRU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCiFjRDGZes) and just judging from the way the guy describes it im starting to really like it, i don't know how much knowledge you guys have on that router cause i couldn't find a stress test but do you have any opinion on it? is it better then the Netgear WNDR3700?

thanks again for replying guys, ok so ive been doing alot of homework and reading through a bunch of different articles on this site and on google it almost feels like im taking a college class, forgive me for getting very detailed and having to have everything explained, im just trying to make sure i get my moneys worth and have the optimum setup for my home network

couple of questions:

1. tipster mentioned the router (Trendnet TEW-673GRU) i could not find a stress test for this router on this site, is there one made yet?
Trendnet is bottom-shelf. OK, but with cheap comes compromise.
2. to my understanding Wireless G operates at 2.4 GHz, and Wireless N operates at 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Correct?
11n operates at 2.4 and/or 5.8GHz - depending on product
3. thiggins you said "Unless you have a lot of wired traffic to/from a 100 Mbps ISP connection", well i have 2 desktops on my network which are connected through a wired 100mbs ethernet cable they are not doing much downloading/streaming they're just for messaging and web surfing, so will my wireless performance be affected in anyway?
wired and wireless clients obviously share the capacity/speed offered by the internet service provider. The load imposed by a typical wired-PC on a router's CPU is small and would not normally impact the speed obtained by a WiFi client.
4. are all ethernet cables able to utilize gigabit speed? or do i have to buy a ethernet cable that has this standard, i know that certain computers which are older don't have a gigabit ethernet slot so i would have to buy internal gigabit adapters for them.
Prefer to use cat5e or cat6 for gigabit ethernet. Use cat6 for long runs (say, 50 ft. or more). Consider using an gigE switch, independent of your WiFi router.
last thing, judging from those stress tests of the Cisco Linksys E3000/Linksys WRT610, i definitely DO NOT want to buy those and i read your stress test on the Netgear WNDR3700 and was impressed by it from what you had written, but when i read the mixed reviews at the bottom people kept complaining about the firmware and it turned me off a little, i just saw a video on youtube of the TRENDnet TEW-673GRU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCiFjRDGZes) and just judging from the way the guy describes it im starting to really like it, i don't know how much knowledge you guys have on that router cause i couldn't find a stress test but do you have any opinion on it? is it better then the Netgear WNDR3700?

IMO, don't pay attention to stress test reports. Use a product well rated by sane/reasonable/erudite people on dslreports.com - wireless forum. Over the years, I've found that Linksys, ZyXel, Buffalo, Belkin rarely have bad products. D-Link, Netgear are inconsistent. Trendnet and other bottom-shelf products should be used only if you are very budget-limited.

thanks stevech, but is trendnet really budget oreiented? i see alot of the routers are pretty pricey, whats your opinion on dual band simultaneous routers? are there any good ones? or am i better off using my old wireless g router as an AP to seperate my G's and N's

thiggins arent you the admin of this site? whats your input on my questions? and should i pay attention to the stress tests?

Last edited:
thanks stevech, but is trendnet really budget oreiented? i see alot of the routers are pretty pricey, whats your opinion on dual band simultaneous routers? are there any good ones? or am i better off using my old wireless g router as an AP to seperate my G's and N's

thiggins arent you the admin of this site? whats your input on my questions? and should i pay attention to the stress tests?

Dual band concurrently - costly luxury.

He means from DSL forum, but well now everyone wants wireless just can't tell them not to do wireless. I test my stuff and post videos on Youtube. I stress beyond what most here might go through. You need to know what the router can do and what it can or what it's limits are.

I am looking for:

Wireless (through-put & being stable 802.11g/n)
Gig (through-put & being stable LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN)

Issues with:

Web Sites (non-responsive to clicks to post, save, change, login an etc..)
Overheating (unit case becomes hot)
Wireless (going poof! (disappear off the radar scope) or sluggish behavior
Gig (starting to go sluggish) on LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN
P2p Fluctuations
Frozen non-responsive unit
an etc..

Not all routers are made the same, they might look the same on FCC ID photos. Each have to follow FCC guide lines as stated below:

Typical 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz transmit power, which is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), is around +17 to +30 dBm (50 mW to 1 W). Typical radio receiver demodulation maximum sensitivity is around -90 dBm for base data rate modulations and all data packet headers for 802.11a/b/g/n. Antenna gain maximums are limited by the FCC.

You buy a wireless router you expect it to perform out of the box experience. You don't want it to start acting flaky. Or go out of control.

Trendnet
EnGenius
Belkin
Dlink
Netgear
TP-Link
Cisco Linksys
Asus
MSI
3Com now taken over by HP

So much other companies all have there wireless network gear to sell.

Nothing wrong with these companies listed above, there hardware been around for several years. We all have a preference or brand you rather use then others.

450/450mbps is what I really like to see and use. 300mbps its been around and we all know what the limits are already. 54 G well you know that was very stable for years. But now since we're going into more HD and wireless streaming G just can't handle the mother load anymore. Wired is good if you have the jacks to access the ports. Wireless is where everyone going. Sure going to take time to get to the point where wireless is can be just as good as wired. But going to take time.

I can only view 480p over 802.11n or mix mode wireless LAN to WAN using ESR-9850 even on my best laptop which I had go recently and that's supports LED/LCD Blue-Ray HDTV 1080p Dolby Digital Surround the 802.11n is based off Atheros. No real issues with that model. I can go 720p on TEW-673GRU over the wireless LAN to WAN on youtube. Wired Gig LAN to WAN I can view 1080p without any issues on youtube.

Last edited:
I answered your question in Post 5 above.

Stevech has said pretty much what I would have told you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!