What's new

Single versus 2 drive NAS - performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bumsf

New Around Here
Is a dual driver nas expected to be faster than a single drive one? From the charts it seems that this may be the case, for example synology 207 is faster than 107. If yes, is that due to RAID 0 configuration or is there another reason?

I am considering buying a NAS and based on advice in this site I have decided that I will not go for a RAID solution but instead buy a 1 TB NAS and a cheap 1 TB USB drive to which I will be backing up my NAS data.

Given that I don't care about RAID, should I still be considering 2 drive NAS over 1 drive because of performance?

Given that I don't care about RAID, should I still be considering 2 drive NAS over 1 drive because of performance?

In general, you should not. Actually RAID sometimes makes the NAS run slower - depends on the RAID mode. RAID0 would make it faster, RAID1 slower. But the difference in both cases is not much. It depends more on the hardware used inside - CPU and RAM.

I think the best guide here on the site is the new Price/Performance chart - have a look there and select.

IMHO you made very good choice on single-drive NAS + backup drive. There is only one better combination - DIY NAS from small pc + backup drive :)
________
HERBAL STORE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!