What's new

Site to site client with same ip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I one asus rt-ac68u as a openvpn server at my house and another in my parents as a client.
Using Merlins-firmware
It works great.
The problem is when go to a friends house with network as my servers ip , I can connect to
openvpn server but cannot access to the Nas.
Is there a way to configure my laptop that if this happens I can access the Nas?

Have a drawing attached

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 305
If it's a friend that you might be visiting often in the future, then it might make sense for one of you to change the subnet you're using to eliminate the IP conflict. Perhaps to something more obscure with less chance of anyone using the same IP address range. That doesn't address the broader question though of what to do if they are the same.

I like having a second option for access, which for me with WHS2011 as my server, is Microsoft's remote access for that product. I.E., I can either connect using my OpenVPN client to the AsusWRT-Merlin router and access the server that way, or I can connect to the website created by WHS2011 and RDP from there into any LAN client (using the ActiveX RDP plugin for IE) or simply upload or download from the server's shares using that website.

In your case, perhaps an ftp server or WebDAV might be options depending on your NAS. I'd go with whatever is easy and secure based on the OS your NAS is running. Another idea would be to run TeamViewer on an always on client on your network and remote into it.

I have a question for you too. I'm in the process of setting up a site-to-site OpenVPN using Merlin routers on both ends. I've actually posted the specifics in another thread, but I'm curious if you could post the details of your working configuration here. The .ovpn file I exported from the OpenVPN server side works fine with a stand-alone Windows OpenVPN client, but isn't working with the in-built client on my other router.

Check post #127 in this thread if you want to see what I'm doing, but mostly I'm hoping you'll share your setup -- thanks!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...sus-routers-380-67-updated-08-07.33638/page-7

Last edited: