What's new

Skynet Skynet works but doesn't do anything now (SOLVED)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nakti

Regular Contributor
Skynet does work when going in to it via Putty but doesn't do anything with the whitelist and It doesn't show any blocks when trying to choose Debug Option and show log as they appear (Blank scrreen and just loading and nothing is popping up red or green like before)
Have tried to format USB with amtm and reinstalled skynet but the issue is still there.
It worked fine before and could see debug and could whitelist and blacklist. But it doesn't do anything now.

Anyone with the same issue? or is it something in the merlin firmware that cause issue?

The RMerlin firmware is what allows the script to work at all, so I doubt it is the issue. But for completeness' sake, what firmware are you running?

Compare what you've done with the overview below (you give very few details of what you have enabled on your router).

• Safely Remove the USB via the GUI. Physically remove the USB drive. Format it on a PC in NTFS format. Do NOT insert it back into the router yet.
  • Reboot the router.
  • Format the JFFS partition. Be sure you hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page.
  • Reboot the router two or three times in the next 15 minutes (waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots).
  • After the router has booted up, let it settle for 10 to 15 minutes or so.
  • Insert the USB drive into the router.
  • Format the drive with Ext4 w/journaling.
  • Create a Swap File (I would choose the largest size amtm allows).
  • Enable the DC checker in amtm.
  • Reboot the router a couple of times and check the DC logs.
  • Do NOT use any saved backup config files to restore your amtm environment.
  • The scripts are small and quick enough to just do them manually instead.

Skynet does work when going in to it via Putty but doesn't do anything with the whitelist and It doesn't show any blocks when trying to choose Debug Option and show log as they appear (Blank scrreen and just loading and nothing is popping up red or green like before)
Have tried to format USB with amtm and reinstalled skynet but the issue is still there.
It worked fine before and could see debug and could whitelist and blacklist. But it doesn't do anything now.

Anyone with the same issue? or is it something in the merlin firmware that cause issue?
Running the latest 7.3.5 and things seem to be working for me. Are you seeing anything under the syslogs? Like these:

Code:
Jan 28 15:11:41 kernel: [BLOCKED - INBOUND] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=64:41:1b:53:4d:28:0b:f1:51:a3:3a:4b:98:0a SRC=71.224.53.120 DST=72.13.86.67 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=239 ID=53924 PROTO=TCP SPT=56066 DPT=5900 SEQ=2038141625 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

Do you have any custom blocklists defined? Are you blocking any countries?

The RMerlin firmware is what allows the script to work at all, so I doubt it is the issue. But for completeness' sake, what firmware are you running?

Compare what you've done with the overview below (you give very few details of what you have enabled on your router).

• Safely Remove the USB via the GUI. Physically remove the USB drive. Format it on a PC in NTFS format. Do NOT insert it back into the router yet.
  • Reboot the router.
  • Format the JFFS partition. Be sure you hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page. -
  • Reboot the router two or three times in the next 15 minutes (waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots).
  • After the router has booted up, let it settle for 10 to 15 minutes or so
  • Insert the USB drive into the router.
  • Format the drive with Ext4 w/journaling.
  • Create a Swap File (I would choose the largest size amtm allows).
  • Reboot the router a couple of times and check the DC logs. (This should not do the thing, seems like too much to get it working when it worked before I updated to latest firmware of Merlin)
  • Do NOT use any saved backup config files to restore your amtm environment. - Not using any backups
Using RT-AC66U B1 firmware: 386.9
  • Safely Remove the USB via the GUI. Physically remove the USB drive. Format it on a PC in NTFS format. Do NOT insert it back into the router yet. - Done
  • Reboot the router. - Done
  • Format the JFFS partition. Be sure you hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page. - Done
  • Reboot the router two or three times in the next 15 minutes (waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots). - Done
  • After the router has booted up, let it settle for 10 to 15 minutes or so. - Done
  • Insert the USB drive into the router. - Done
  • Format the drive with Ext4 w/journaling. - Done
  • Create a Swap File (I would choose the largest size amtm allows). - Done
  • Reboot the router a couple of times and check the DC logs. (This should not do the thing, seems like too much to get it working when it worked before I updated to latest firmware of Merlin)
  • Do NOT use any saved backup config files to restore your amtm environment. - Not using any backups

Last edited:
Running the latest 7.3.5 and things seem to be working for me. Are you seeing anything under the syslogs? Like these:

Code:
Jan 28 15:11:41 kernel: [BLOCKED - INBOUND] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=64:41:1b:53:4d:28:0b:f1:51:a3:3a:4b:98:0a SRC=71.224.53.120 DST=72.13.86.67 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=239 ID=53924 PROTO=TCP SPT=56066 DPT=5900 SEQ=2038141625 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

Do you have any custom blocklists defined? Are you blocking any countries?
I don't see anything like: Jan 28 15:11:41 kernel: [BLOCKED - INBOUND] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=64:41:1b:53:4d:28:0b:f1:51:a3:3a:4b:98:0a SRC=71.224.53.120 DST=72.13.86.67 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=239 ID=53924 PROTO=TCP SPT=56066 DPT=5900 SEQ=2038141625 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000 anymore, it worked perfect before the update of the latest Merlin firmware. And I had blocked Country but now after I reinstalled Skynet everything is default and still nothing.

And in Asus router GUI in Skynet section it still says No data to display even after 2 days and did press update stats. Before it where many info.

Can you post the output of:
Code:
iptables-save -c -t raw
ps | grep syslog
dmesg | grep BLOCKED | tail -10
nvram get message_loglevel
nvram get log_level

Got it to work now.

Needed to format the usb again and then I did a factory reset on the router and did setup the settings manually again and reinstalled skynet. Now everything is working as it should.

The issue was the Asus firmware after updating to the latest version for me.

Thank you all for your help.