What's new

Slow AC86U wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
I recently upgraded my CenturyLink internet to 1Gbps. If I plug their ethernet cable directly into my laptop I see very high speeds: (846 down, 902 up), very close to the advertised speed. About the same if I go through the router via wired ethernet.

Using wireless from the AC86U to my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd (2019 vintage) I only get about 25% of that speed at 5GHZ wireless --212 down 240 up. Device Manager shows Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, dated 1/10/2021. Intel's specs show max speed of 867.

Is the wireless bottleneck likely to be on the router or the laptop end? My guess is the laptop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-13 092853.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-13 092853.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Most likely the laptop WIFI. The Intel adaptor is likely a 2x2 while the router is a 4x4 radio on 5 GHZ. That will limit the bandwidth.
Make sure your 5 GHz on the router is set to a fixed channel at 80 MHz. 149 is good. Get the Intel driver checker and make sure the adaptor driver is up to date.

80 MHz is how it is configured. I suspect 1/10/2021 driver data is latest but will hunt down that Intel checker -- perhaps there was a more recent update.

So, there IS a more recent update, dated 3/21/2021. I installed that and things do look a little better, but still a long way from what the router can deliver. New speed test shows 319 down, 250 up but could be normal run-to-run variation although download speed improvement does look significant.

Windows report of link speed is improved as well. See attached. 650/650 vs 585/585.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-13 092853.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-13 092853.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 115
Buy a $20 Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card and upgrade your laptop to see (slightly) higher speeds with your RT-AC86U.

Buy the Wi-Fi card above and an RT-AX86U to see the highest speeds possible in your network today.

Buy a $20 Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card and upgrade your laptop to see (slightly) higher speeds with your RT-AC86U.

Buy the Wi-Fi card above and an RT-AX86U to see the highest speeds possible in your network today.
I didn't think things like that were easily replaced in a laptop. Is it a DYI thing? I did replace a laptop keyboard once. It went OK but was a delicate operation. There were torque specs for the tiny screws involved and I just did what felt right.

Depends on the laptop, of course, but it is possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!