What's new

Slow Internet after enabling Traffic Monitoring/Analyzer (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KingKewl

New Around Here
I have the RT-AC68U with Merlin 386.4. Xfinity Gigabit internet getting ~900Mbps wired. I after I enabled Traffic monitoring and analyzer with IPTraffic and saving to an attached USB device, wired speed dropped to ~200Mbps.

I did a hard reboot/reset to default settings and went to Merlin 386.3_2. Again kept testing speeds at ~900Mbps until I enabled the traffic monitoring again and speed dropped to ~200Mbps. Tried to disable IPTraffic and the Analyzer but speeds stuck at ~200 so I think I reset everything again.

I really need the traffic monitoring/analyzer right now. Trying to isolate why there's high usage on the account. Any suggestions with the speed issue? Is this a known bug?

I have the RT-AC68U with Merlin 386.4. Xfinity Gigabit internet getting ~900Mbps wired. I after I enabled Traffic monitoring and analyzer with IPTraffic and saving to an attached USB device, wired speed dropped to ~200Mbps.

I did a hard reboot/reset to default settings and went to Merlin 386.3_2. Again kept testing speeds at ~900Mbps until I enabled the traffic monitoring again and speed dropped to ~200Mbps. Tried to disable IPTraffic and the Analyzer but speeds stuck at ~200 so I think I reset everything again.

I really need the traffic monitoring/analyzer right now. Trying to isolate why there's high usage on the account. Any suggestions with the speed issue? Is this a known bug?
Congratulations, unfortunately your current Internet Service Provider speed is now too fast for your older router to do much with...
If you turn off most of the advanced features & allow the Hardware Acceleration to be utilized you can obtain the higher speeds but when you try to use the extras & the router cpu at those high speeds...
The router's CPU will slow your throughput...
Perhaps it's Time to upgrade ;-)

EDIT: re-read your first post... depending on the type of usb-drive & enclosure... that can slow things down also... these devices don't have the same I/O speeds as an actual NAS-drive

Last edited:
The Tools-->SysInfo page will show the current state of "HW acceleration". If you turn off the Traffic Monitoring, and then REBOOT the router it should revert back to full speed.

The RT-AC68 cannot keep up with fast ISPs when HW acceleration is off.

The RT-AC68 cannot keep up with fast ISPs when HW acceleration is off.

No home router can do Gigabit with NAT acceleration off, actually. IP Traffic on AC68U is indeed incompatible with NAT acceleration and the router becomes CPU limited to ~250Mbps WAN-LAN traffic.

I've been looking at the traffic monitoring feature in the ASUSWRT software as well. One thing that I've noticed is that it seems to be limited to TCP / UDP traffic, e.g. when an IPSEC tunnel comes up on a node, it no longer gets counted. I'm wondering if VNSTAT is the answer to this issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!