What's new

Slow Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atlantex

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

after upgrading my internet connection speed from 100 Mbit to 250 Mbit I noticed that I got only 176 Mbit throughput when I connect a computer via cable or wlan. After a reset of the router I get the full speed.

I have firewall rules, QoS, IPS and VPN server for home connection running.

The question is now, how can I find the config issue?

If you get fullspeed after a full factory reset then reconfigure everything manually again. Dont restore your settings from a backup or you will get the same problem

A VPN tunnel will steal some of you’re speed in processing and overhead. Are you taking that in to account?

A VPN tunnel will steal some of you’re speed in processing and overhead. Are you taking that in to account?

I use the VPN to login into my network only when I am outside. Why does the VPN server steal bandwidth when not in use?

What router do you have? What firmware are you using (specifically)?

If using RMerlin firmware, did you ever do a full reset to factory defaults while also checking the 'Initialize all settings' checkbox (including 'Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes)?

Were you having issues with the previous firmware?

What are you calling a 'reset of the router'? By that, do you mean merely a reboot?

The OpenVPN server will not affect anything just being 'on'. But make sure you are using a non-standard Port (I suggest anything above 51,000) to limit scanning bot attempts from the 'net.

What router do you have? What firmware are you using (specifically)?

If using RMerlin firmware, did you ever do a full reset to factory defaults while also checking the 'Initialize all settings' checkbox (including 'Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes)?

Were you having issues with the previous firmware?

What are you calling a 'reset of the router'? By that, do you mean merely a reboot?

The OpenVPN server will not affect anything just being 'on'. But make sure you are using a non-standard Port (I suggest anything above 51,000) to limit scanning bot attempts from the 'net.

I never did a full reset as described. I have a AC87U, FW 384.13_8. Till the upgrade to 250 Mbit/s internet speed, I never noticed performance problems.

Then do so now. :)

An M&M Config should be enough to get your router stable again, but the few extra steps in the Nuclear Reset won't hurt either (or take much more time).

See the link in my signature below for both guides and more that may be helpful to get your router back to a good/known state.

Then do so now. :)

An M&M Config should be enough to get your router stable again, but the few extra steps in the Nuclear Reset won't hurt either (or take much more time).

See the link in my signature below for both guides and more that may be helpful to get your router back to a good/known state.

Hmmm, is this needed after every update or just a one time process?

It is needed when it is needed. :)

For a customer, I do this by default (I don't want to have to go back because I was too lazy to spend an extra 20 minutes doing it right).

For example, I had performed a full/proper reset to factory defaults on my then-new RT-AX88U back on Dec 7, 2019, with RMerlin firmware 384.14 Beta 3. I have been doing 'dirty' upgrades since then. Including almost all the Alpha and Beta firmware made available for my router since that time.

The network is still rock solid and very fast (thanks to Fibre 1Gbps symmetrical ISP too, of course).

A few times in the last 6 months I thought I needed to do another full/proper reset. But leaving the router alone for at least an hour and then rebooting it fixed it. Patience is key with routers I have found (sometimes). :)

It is needed when it is needed. :)

For a customer, I do this by default (I don't want to have to go back because I was too lazy to spend an extra 20 minutes doing it right).

For example, I had performed a full/proper reset to factory defaults on my then-new RT-AX88U back on Dec 7, 2019, with RMerlin firmware 384.14 Beta 3. I have been doing 'dirty' upgrades since then. Including almost all the Alpha and Beta firmware made available for my router since that time.

The network is still rock solid and very fast (thanks to Fibre 1Gbps symmetrical ISP too, of course).

A few times in the last 6 months I thought I needed to do another full/proper reset. But leaving the router alone for at least an hour and then rebooting it fixed it. Patience is key with routers I have found (sometimes). :)

Allright, then I'll do this tomorrow morning. All settings must be configured new after that reset right?

Yes, configure the router manually.
  • Do not insert a USB that was used for amtm into the router (and do not have any USB drives connected while you're doing the M&M/Nuclear Reset steps).
  • Do not 'blindly' put in old settings and/or customizations either. If you feel you need to, do so one at a time and test thoroughly before moving onto adding the next one.
  • If you had a USB drive for amtm (swap file + scripts), make a copy of the contents if you must, but format it on a PC as NTFS and then insert it into the router.
    • The amtm Step-by-Step Guide can guide you to format the USB drive properly and enable the swap file, disk checker and install Entware as the latest RMerlin firmware expects it to be. Just ignore the part about installing amtm itself (included since RMerlin 384.15_0 release final).
HTH. :)

Yes, configure the router manually.
  • Do not insert a USB that was used for amtm into the router (and do not have any USB drives connected while you're doing the M&M/Nuclear Reset steps).
  • Do not 'blindly' put in old settings and/or customizations either. If you feel you need to, do so one at a time and test thoroughly before moving onto adding the next one.
  • If you had a USB drive for amtm (swap file + scripts), make a copy of the contents if you must, but format it on a PC as NTFS and then insert it into the router.
    • The amtm Step-by-Step Guide can guide you to format the USB drive properly and enable the swap file, disk checker and install Entware as the latest RMerlin firmware expects it to be. Just ignore the part about installing amtm itself (included since RMerlin 384.15_0 release final).
HTH. :)

Sounds a bit like voodoo but I will try it out tomorrow. Thx for the explanation.

Voodoo or not, this is the sum of RMerlin's, many others, and my experience too to get the router back to a good/known state quickly and predictably. :)

So much in fact, that if following the steps fully doesn't resolve an issue, it usually points to a hardware failure fairly predictably too.

Voodoo or not, this is the sum of RMerlin's, many others, and my experience too to get the router back to a good/known state quickly and predictably. :)

So much in fact, that if following the steps fully doesn't resolve an issue, it usually points to a hardware failure fairly predictably too.

You have the patience of a Saint !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!