What's new

Slow LAN Transfer when QoS is enabled!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychosb

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone has this problem too.
I have QoS enabled in my Asus RT-N66 and my upload speed is only 1Mb.

When I try to copy a file from the Hard Drive connected to my Router (that downloads stuff with Download Master), the transfer (wired over LAN), is SO Slow... about 120kb/s.

If I disable the QoS, the Speed goes normal again (12Mb/s).

Does the QoS should work only when the transfer is LAN -> Wan?

Anyone knows a Rule to solve this?

I'm using the RMerlin firmware, version 260.

Thanks!

QoS expects values in bits, not in bytes. Make sure you aren't missing three 0's there.

QoS expects values in bits, not in bytes. Make sure you aren't missing three 0's there.

Hello RMerlin...

Thanks for the reply.

The QoS configuration can receive the value in Kb/s and on Mb/s, right?

I'm sending a screenshot of how is my QoS Configuration...
I don't think this is wrong, because my downloads are with the correct download/upload speed.

My problem is with the file transfer between the Asus Router (With an HD connected) and my PC, it's only 1Mb/s (About 128Kbps).
With QoS disabled, the speed comes back to normal (about 12Mb/s).

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• qos.jpg
    qos.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,211
Last edited:
Your settings look correct (tho the XBox setting should be edited, as it currently overrides two other existing settings that also address the port 80 traffic.

No idea why your LAN traffic would be that slow, sorry.

I have a very similar problem, with the latest 2 builds now only QOS is not the issue.. Not sure if it's somehow related, but as soon as I turn on (enable) PPTP VPN, wireless transfer speeds change drastically.

A 350mb file that takes 2-3 seconds to copy takes 8 minutes. I've tried various settings specific to the PPTP VPN configuration, but nothing other than purely disabling it seems to work.

I have a very similar problem, with the latest 2 builds now only QOS is not the issue.. Not sure if it's somehow related, but as soon as I turn on (enable) PPTP VPN, wireless transfer speeds change drastically.

A 350mb file that takes 2-3 seconds to copy takes 8 minutes. I've tried various settings specific to the PPTP VPN configuration, but nothing other than purely disabling it seems to work.

I have upgraded to the latest RMerlin firmware (270.24) and the issue continues.

You're having problems with QoS And with PPTN VPN?
Using RMerlin firmware too?

It makes no sense the QoS slow down the ROUTER -> PC upload speed. =/

I have had a similar problem when transferring files from my NAS to a PC on the same LAN. I wasn't using QoS though. The way that I resolved my problem was disabled Jumbo Frames and made sure that the MTU of all the devices were 1500 or less. All of my devices supported jumbo frames but for some reason when they were enabled the transfer speed was dramatically reduced. This might not fix your problem but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
I have had a similar problem when transferring files from my NAS to a PC on the same LAN. I wasn't using QoS though. The way that I resolved my problem was disabled Jumbo Frames and made sure that the MTU of all the devices were 1500 or less. All of my devices supported jumbo frames but for some reason when they were enabled the transfer speed was dramatically reduced. This might not fix your problem but it's worth a shot.

Nice, I'll give a try at night and post here the results!

Thanks!

I figured it wasn't going to work. Did you also disable it on the client? Also, can you post the mangle table of the router?

Code:
iptables -t mangle -L -v

If you are comfortable doing this, (don't worry the rules will be recreated after a reboot) delete a rule from the mangle table one by one to see if a rule is causing this or if there is something specific to that module being loaded. Let me know.

I figured it wasn't going to work. Did you also disable it on the client? Also, can you post the mangle table of the router?

Code:
iptables -t mangle -L -v

If you are comfortable doing this, (don't worry the rules will be recreated after a reboot) delete a rule from the mangle table one by one to see if a rule is causing this or if there is something specific to that module being loaded. Let me know.

I disabled only on the Router! But I checked and the Jumbo Frames on my PC was already disabled!

Here's the table:
Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t mangle -L -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 77736 packets, 37M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
29462   31M CONNMARK   all  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere            CONNMARK restore mask 0xff

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 83829 packets, 10M bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 126K packets, 80M bytes)
20477 2410K QOSO       all  --  any    eth0    anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 16063 packets, 2454K bytes)
  391 31127 QOSO       all  --  any    eth0    anywhere             anywhere

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 170K packets, 88M bytes)
40881   33M QOSO       all  --  any    br0     anywhere             anywhere

Chain QOSO (3 references)
    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            MARK match 0xd001
61749   36M CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            CONNMARK restore mask 0xff
    0     0 RETURN     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            CONNMARK match !0x0/0xff00
 6110  759K CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www connbytes 0:524287 bytes direction both CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
 6761  973K CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https connbytes 0:524287 bytes direction both CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
 5576  297K CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www connbytes 524288:4294967295 bytes direction both CONNMARK set-return 0x3/0xff
 1211  334K CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https connbytes 524288:4294967295 bytes direction both CONNMARK set-return 0x3/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            multiport dports kerberos,3074 CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            multiport dports kerberos,3074 CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpts:10070:10080 CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            udp dpts:10070:amanda CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
42091   33M CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            CONNMARK set-return 0x3/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            multiport dports 3724,6112,6881:6999 CONNMARK set-return 0x1/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             base-address.mcast.net/4 CONNMARK set-return 0x6/0xff
    0     0 CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             192.168.1.0/24      CONNMARK set-return 0x6/0xff
   33  1320 CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            CONNMARK set-return 0x4

Thanks a lot!

Well I can confirm that this problem happens to me too. I was transferring from a flash drive connected to the router. The initial speed was about ~15MB/s (120Mb/s). Then after applying the same rules that you applied the download speed dropped to aroung 20Kb/s. This is strange. QoS should not affect transfers that are not specified unless there is a rule for unmarked packets meaning this is using UPnP and the ports for this are 1900 and 2189 I think. These ports are not specified in the rule you created. I don't really think it matters if it is lan/lan or lan/wan transfers just so long as the rule is being matched.

With that being said, I think that this rule has something to do with it.

Code:
42091   33M CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere        CONNMARK set-return 0x3/0xff

When I deleted this rule the transfer speeds went back to normal. I don't know why yet. I am going to have to do a little more research.

Last edited:
Well I can confirm that this problem happens to me too. I was transferring from a flash drive connected to the router. The initial speed was about ~15MB/s (120Mb/s). Then after applying the same rules that you applied the download speed dropped to aroung 20Kb/s. This is strange. QoS should not affect transfers that are not specified unless there is a rule for unmarked packets meaning this is using UPnP and the ports for this are 1900 and 2189 I think. These ports are not specified in the rule you created. I don't really think it matters if it is lan/lan or lan/wan transfers just so long as the rule is being matched.

With that being said, I think that this rule has something to do with it.

Code:
42091   33M CONNMARK   all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere        CONNMARK set-return 0x3/0xff

When I deleted this rule the transfer speeds went back to normal. I don't know why yet. I am going to have to do a little more research.

I'll made some tests on my router! I'm working too much these days, that I don't have the courage to play with the router!

Anyway, I'll try deleting the rules and check if the same rule is slowing down my LAN transfer and I'll post here the results!

Thanks for the help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!