What's new

slow wifi LAN speed, any tips?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kacee

New Around Here
I did some iperf runs and found out that my local wifi is way slower than I thought, do you have any tips to cure the problem?

I have three devices joined the test, an iMac, a Macbook Air and a NUC, the MBA is located right beside the AP, the other two locate a few meters away with couple of brick walls in the middle (wall corners)

The slowest speed is around 30Mbps and maximum speed is just over 100Mbps, I would expect more (about err 300Mbps?) with all of them on perfectly clear 5GHz band, turned off the 5GHz band with roughly 10 other wifi from neighbors on 2.4GHz (mine on the clearest channel I can find) I did the test again, it's slower by about 20%.

My network is setup with an old Linksys X2000 ADSL working as the router to dial PPPoE, the AP is Draytek 910C.

The AP 910C reported all three devices are connected on 5GHz AC and 2.4GHz N before the tests.

Is there anything wrong with my setup or it's just how wifi work, bad for local traffic.

I don't have a second laptop to test with both of them close to the AP, so I'm not sure if it's because of bad connection.

I loaded Netstress before I knew about iperf. It's ok but everyone tells me I made the wrong mistake. My wireless router is an Asus N66u. It has 5GHz and 2.4GHz, no AC ... just N.

Anyway I loaded Netstress onto a Desktop directly connected to Ethernet and loaded a matching copy onto my laptop. I connected my laptop to Ethernet, then 5GHz and finally to 2.4GHz. I transferred data to and from the desktop and recorded my speeds. My laptop was located about 35 feet from the router.
  • Ethernet: 594 Mbps
  • 5 GHz: 150 Mbps
  • 2.4 GHz: 79 Mbps
I have no idea if my benchmarks are good or bad. My benchmarks were mostly to make sure I wasn't pinching my Internet link and to fine tune my implementation of a range extender. I anchored the Desktop to Ethernet so I could measure WiFi and eliminate the variability of measuring WiFi to WiFi.

I did some iperf runs and found out that my local wifi is way slower than I thought, do you have any tips to cure the problem?

I have three devices joined the test, an iMac, a Macbook Air and a NUC, the MBA is located right beside the AP, the other two locate a few meters away with couple of brick walls in the middle (wall corners)

The slowest speed is around 30Mbps and maximum speed is just over 100Mbps, I would expect more (about err 300Mbps?) with all of them on perfectly clear 5GHz band, turned off the 5GHz band with roughly 10 other wifi from neighbors on 2.4GHz (mine on the clearest channel I can find) I did the test again, it's slower by about 20%.

My network is setup with an old Linksys X2000 ADSL working as the router to dial PPPoE, the AP is Draytek 910C.

The AP 910C reported all three devices are connected on 5GHz AC and 2.4GHz N before the tests.

Is there anything wrong with my setup or it's just how wifi work, bad for local traffic.

I don't have a second laptop to test with both of them close to the AP, so I'm not sure if it's because of bad connection.

if you are going across the same channel, it is half duplex between the two wifi users on the same access point.
Brick is real good at attenuating 5 ghz, 2.4 slightly less.
You generally need to be at least a meter away from the access point.
If you want to test just upload or download from the access point to the user, do what the previous poster did and use the lan side for one of the devices

I did the test with one computer wired to the router, it's fine.

It's just the wireless to wireless speed that bother me, I did the test today with three different AC APs sitting between two computers about a meter away with nothing between, maximum 150Mbps avg, peaked at 170Mbps.

So basically local wifi traffic is bad.

Now I have to figure out how to connect my home server to my router which located two rooms away, bad planning on my part :/

It's just the wireless to wireless speed that bother me, I did the test today with three different AC APs sitting between two computers about a meter away with nothing between, maximum 150Mbps avg, peaked at 170Mbps.

Now I have to figure out how to connect my home server to my router which located two rooms away, bad planning on my part :/
Are you doing wifi extenders to extend your network ?
Most of the bandwidth goes to the node to node rather than devices. that will be slow.
If so, put the extension on one band - either 5 or 2.4 and use the other for devices.

Otherwise, use an ethernet backbone or MOCA2 ( if you have rg6 preferred or 59 available ). Worst case try powerline Av500 or better.

With a local IPerf3 host - on the LAN...

Should see similar numbers - these are rough guides

950 Mbps - 1Gbe LAN
550 Mbps - AC867 (2*2:2) - 5GHz
36 Mbps - N72 - 802.11n (1*1:1) 2.4GHz, narrow channels

Should see similar numbers ...
Thanks for the numbers, now I know I must've done something right (or lucky anyway) as I'm running at 79 (and, somewhat inexplicably, even faster through a range extender to the same wireless router).

It's just the wireless to wireless speed that bother me ... maximum 150Mbps avg, peaked at 170Mbps.

Actually ... that doesn't sound bad to me ...

Get a long Ethernet cable, lay it out on the floor through the rooms and see if your idea works. If you're on the 1st floor and have a basement underneath simply poke a hole in the floor by the router and another by the server, drop an Ethernet cable through one hole, stretch the cable along the basement ceiling and push it up through the other hole (I'm guessing it's not that easy : -)

Like DeGrub said, if your server is on the same band as your client then you are running at half duplex, half speed if you will. That means your server sends something to the AP and then the AP shuts down while it resends that same something to the client. Try forcing the server to connect to 2.4 GHz and the client to connect at 5GHz (or vice versa) and see what happens.

Should see similar numbers - these are rough guides

950 Mbps - 1Gbe LAN
550 Mbps - AC867 (2*2:2) - 5GHz

My Wifi Lan Speed is slow and don't know how can I improve the speed thanks for your suggestion hope it will also work for me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!