What's new

Slow wifi speeds - AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cassandra

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am running AC68U on the latest merlin software (386.1_2) and I started to notice very slow speeds on most of mine wireless devices. I have a 200/40 Mbps line, but most of the wireless devices barely hit 100Mbs on 5Ghz chanel and only ~30Mbs on the 2.4Ghz chanel. And those numbers occur when the devices are right next to the router. The funny thing is, while most devices suffer from this, some are fine, for example my personal phone hits ~190Mbps on 5Ghz chanel no problem. By the way, I also run diversion and skynet on the router, but I don't think that is the problem. I also followed nucler reset guide, but it didn't seem to solve my problems.

Is there any way to solve this or should I start thinking about an RMA?

2.4ghz.PNG

2.4ghz pro.PNG
5 ghz 1.PNG
5ghz.PNG

Those settings are not what is recommended in the links below.

I would suggest starting over and not changing defaults unless stated in the links above.

Changing them back now is different from not changing them at all.

Testing 'right next to the router' isn't where you'll find the highest throughput the router can do either. You should be testing from at least a dozen to three dozen feet away (12' to 36').

At the very least, you should not be in 40MHz bandwidth on the 2.5GHz band. You have also disabled 802.11ac Beamforming which is not a recommended change to make.

If you're not transferring large files between your internal network, consider testing 40MHz and even 20MHz bandwidth even for the 5GHz band, if you are finding many AP's in your surrounding area (i.e. an apartment building). The ISP speeds you have will easily be supported by the lower bandwidths suggested here. Depending on your router placement, orientation, and the size and construction materials of your home.

If you follow the suggestions in the link above, and if necessary, follow the suggestion in this post too for bandwidth on each band, I'm sure the issues you're seeing will be resolved.

Hello,

I am running AC68U on the latest merlin software (386.1_2) and I started to notice very slow speeds on most of mine wireless devices. I have a 200/40 Mbps line, but most of the wireless devices barely hit 100Mbs on 5Ghz chanel and only ~30Mbs on the 2.4Ghz chanel. And those numbers occur when the devices are right next to the router. The funny thing is, while most devices suffer from this, some are fine, for example my personal phone hits ~190Mbps on 5Ghz chanel no problem. By the way, I also run diversion and skynet on the router, but I don't think that is the problem. I also followed nucler reset guide, but it didn't seem to solve my problems.

Is there any way to solve this or should I start thinking about an RMA?

View attachment 30735
View attachment 30736View attachment 30737View attachment 30738

I don't like your settings:
2.4GHz band try 20/40 and channel 11
5GHz band try 80 and channel 48
Try turning on/enable Universal Beamforming for both bands
Enable TX Bursting both bands

Last edited:
Universal Beamforming 'enabled' is never a good idea.

Those settings are not what is recommended in the links below.

I would suggest starting over and not changing defaults unless stated in the links above.

Changing them back now is different from not changing them at all.

Testing 'right next to the router' isn't where you'll find the highest throughput the router can do either. You should be testing from at least a dozen to three dozen feet away (12' to 36').

At the very least, you should not be in 40MHz bandwidth on the 2.5GHz band. You have also disabled 802.11ac Beamforming which is not a recommended change to make.

If you're not transferring large files between your internal network, consider testing 40MHz and even 20MHz bandwidth even for the 5GHz band, if you are finding many AP's in your surrounding area (i.e. an apartment building). The ISP speeds you have will easily be supported by the lower bandwidths suggested here. Depending on your router placement, orientation, and the size and construction materials of your home.

If you follow the suggestions in the link above, and if necessary, follow the suggestion in this post too for bandwidth on each band, I'm sure the issues you're seeing will be resolved.

I started from the beginning again and followed that, but somehow the performance is still what I would consider very poor. Results from testing the 2.4Ghz range anywhere from ~17Mbps to 50Mbps depending on device and location. 5Ghz ranges anywhere from 50Mbps to 190Mbps.

Again, I don't know if I am going crazy or what, but I don't remember having such low speeds even on my old RT-N56U. Is it possible that this values are realistic and I am expecting too much from the router?

Did you test different control channels? Did you test different control widths?

Yes, I tested 1, 6, 11 and 13 with 20 and 40Mhz, nothing seem to effect it very much. I didn't bother with the 5Ghz since its in what I would consider expected range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!