What's new

Slow wireless transfer on Asus router (HP Microserver NAS)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruasonid

Regular Contributor
I have a HP Gen 8 Microserver with spec as follows:

Build FreeNAS-11.1-U7
Platform Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
Memory 16311MB

Router is an Asus RT AC66U.

Data transfer between the NAS and any device is slow:

bin/iperf.exe -c 192.168.0.55 -P 1 -i 1 -p 5001 -f M -t 60
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.0.55, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 0.06 MByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[300] local 192.168.0.128 port 54608 connected with 192.168.0.55 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[300] 0.0- 1.0 sec 12.4 MBytes 12.4 MBytes/sec
[300] 1.0- 2.0 sec 12.6 MBytes 12.6 MBytes/sec
[300] 2.0- 3.0 sec 13.0 MBytes 13.0 MBytes/sec
[300] 3.0- 4.0 sec 10.5 MBytes 10.5 MBytes/sec
[300] 4.0- 5.0 sec 10.6 MBytes 10.6 MBytes/sec

Where can I start with an investigation to try and improve performance please?

How your client device is connected to the router - wireless or by LAN cable?

That is a good question. The report above is for the wireless connection The wired connection is giving around 891 MBytes/sec. It is the wireless performance I would like to improve since all NAS clients are using wireless. The router is running Merlin 380.70.

That is a good question. The report above is for the wireless connection The wired connection is giving around 891 MBytes/sec. It is the wireless performance I would like to improve since all NAS clients are using wireless. The router is running Merlin 380.70.
You'll have to do more extensive testing with a variety of clients using different bands. 13.0 MB/s = 104Mbps which wouldn't be too unreasonable for a 2 stream client on 2.4GHz.

So I see you understood that your problem is wireless connection but not the HP Microserver itself. Why not change the title of the post to reflect the issue as the present title gives wrong impression that the problem is related to the NAS itself? As @ColinTaylor says above you should do some more testing to find possible ways to improve your wireless speed. The 104Mbps could be reasonable or not - it depends on the distance between router and client device, walls, neighboring wireless environment, wireless band (2.4 or 5 GHz), wireless channel, etc. You could also consider to move this thread to the Asus Wireless section of this forum where you may receive some help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Not sure how to move this to Asus Wireless - could someone help with that?

For the above wireless test I'm using an ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac.

On the main WAN (fibre Internet) link:

Wired

Ping 10ms, Download 68.69 Mbps, Upload 16.82 Mbps

Wireless

Ping 12ms, Download 66.96 Mbps, Upload 16.74 Mbps

Other devices do not have AC adapters (e.g. built in adapters on mobiles, tablets, etc.) so the above would be the best.