What's new

Slower speeds on RT-AC68U compared to ISP supplied router, especially upload on a wired conn.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

Recently had a speed upgrade from 100/20 Mbps to 300/100 Mbps. Upload is fine when doing speed test but download only goes upto 150 on RT-AC68U. This is with wired connection, nothing else connected and also tried speed tests within the router. Have been trying to troubleshoot with ISP until someone recommended to try another router which is a Vodafone ultra hub plus and the speed when using that are 320/105. Is there a setting that I need to tweak?

Recently had a speed upgrade from 100/20 Mbps to 300/100 Mbps. Upload is fine when doing speed test but download only goes upto 150 on RT-AC68U. This is with wired connection, nothing else connected and also tried speed tests within the router. Have been trying to troubleshoot with ISP until someone recommended to try another router which is a Vodafone ultra hub plus and the speed when using that are 320/105. Is there a setting that I need to tweak?
Make sure the QOS is turned off, or alternatively the QOS is set to your new plan speeds?
Just me guessing here……..:)

Here are some speed tests, it's getting interesting as when connected with wire to Asus, upload is very very slow.
ISP Router Wired
ISP Router Wired

ISP Router Wi-Fi

Asus Wi-Fi

Asus Wired

Last edited:
Could it be because of this? QoS is off, was never on.

1638432734343.png

Found it! NAT Acceleration was set to disabled. Wi-Fi speeds now are 280/80. Will test upload speeds on wired as that was pretty low before. Hopefully this resolved that too.
1638434064385.png

Speed test in the Internet Speed tab under QOS still shows 150 down but speed test done over wi-fi on a laptop shows lot higher Weird.
1638434617156.png

Speed test in the Internet Speed tab under QOS still shows 150 down but speed test done over wi-fi on a laptop shows lot higher Weird.
View attachment 37598
I never trusted those speed test inside the router. It's always giving like only half the reading of browser test or actual file download speed. Im using AC68 too.

Last edited:
View attachment 37598
The RT-AC68U is not fast enough to do a valid speed test on the router at higher speeds using the GUI in my experience. It is definitely capable of 320 mbps down to wired/wireless clients with the right settings though.

The RT-AC68U I use as a router can get 940 mbps down/940 bps up wired on fiber if the network is not congested. I have not done enough checks on 5GHz wireless to give a upper speed, but I have gotten ~600 mbps down.

I'm thinking that the speed test in the router is single threaded, i.e. not attempting multiple streams from different sources like the web client and Windows app are.