What's new

Small computer case to hold 8 drives for custom NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dje007

Occasional Visitor
Small computer case to hold 8 drives for custom NAS using micro mother board is there one out there at the moment?

Or a NAS that holds 8 drives and will not cost a arm and leg.

Wow, it's hard enough to find any case that supports 8 drives, let alone a small or mini chassis. I recently did some searching for a friend of mine who wanted 6+ drives in a really small form factor, and the most we could find was 4 drives, + 2 if you were willing to sacrifice the 5.25 bays with adaptors.

With that many drives I think you're pretty much stuck with a server type chassis, either pedestal or rackmount. Rackmount is probably your best bet for capacity & size. 8 drive bays isn't much to ask for in the rackmount arena. Lots of options there. You can get a variety of rackmount cases where you can put in your own componentry, or an off-the-shelf solution like an HP DL2xx series storage server.

You could also consider iSCSI NAS's like Buffalo's terastation pro, which allow you to combine several relatively small 4-bay devices into 1 array.

Drive Cage/Blackplane

To keep it as small as possible, I would look for the smallest case that supports 5 or 6 5-1/4 drive bays and then fill the drive bays with 2 drive cages/backplanes (Manufacturer PCMCIS) sold at MicroCenter. I was considering something similar but ended up purchasing the Intel SS4200-E(4 drives) and plan on purchasing another once drive space is exhausted. Hope this helps.

To keep it as small as possible, I would look for the smallest case that supports 5 or 6 5-1/4 drive bays and then fill the drive bays with 2 drive cages/backplanes (Manufacturer PCMCIS) sold at MicroCenter. I was considering something similar but ended up purchasing the Intel SS4200-E(4 drives) and plan on purchasing another once drive space is exhausted. Hope this helps.

Yeah that is what I was looking at newegg has some nice drive bays that will do the job, now just to find a nice small case with 6 X 5.25" bays

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!