What's new

Small network manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4dreamer

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I am looking for advise. I live in a sharing apartment and my internet connection is being shared with other occupants in the flat and on the building floor. Currently I have no special arrangement made and wifi key is handed over to the user. Lately I learned as a lot of people now using my internet without paying as they share the key from others without my knowledge.

I am using an Asus RT-AC88U as the main router and three TPLink APs are connected to it across the building floor. Some users also has wired connections taken from my Asus router.

I am looking an expert advise as how can I control internet access wireless and wired both. Ideally I want to issue users with a limited time access for the month they pay. Also want to separate my devices (printer and HDD) from other users to see and access.

Turned to firewalls and even bought a Meraki MX64 (my biggest mistake) that is useless without a license.

Thanks in advance...

There are two potential issues with what you're doing:
1. Your ISP may cancel your account. Most ISP's don't allow re-selling of their services. Check your service agreement.
2. If one of your "customers" is involved in illegal activities over Internet, the police may come to your door looking for you.

Thx for the heads up. I totally understand this risk. Internet in my place is very expensive hence sharing is a common practice.

My only concern so far is the ability to control and manage my network.

Can anyone provide some help.

You need something that has a guest type portal on it. You could build a pfSense or OPNsense box to do this. Setup a LAN segment for your stuff, then carve out a guest segment and issue out tokens/passes for your "subscribers". There are many other choices out there. Even some standard consumer routers may have these features.

You need something that has a guest type portal on it. You could build a pfSense or OPNsense box to do this. Setup a LAN segment for your stuff, then carve out a guest segment and issue out tokens/passes for your "subscribers". There are many other choices out there. Even some standard consumer routers may have these features.
Many thanks for taking time and providing ur inputs.

I did networking back in the days when things were pretty switch based and am not very well informed for the newest stuff.

I would appreciate if u can direct me to a tutorial or write up that I can follow to achieve my outcome.

BTW I am using Asus RT-AC88U with default firmware. My ISP wants VLAN ID setup to work and dd-wrt doesn't support this feature.

I'm not sure what a low end rsa key fob solution would cost, bit it may be something to consider and research

Status
Not open for further replies.