What's new

Small Office Network Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

931Cummins

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a small office with just 3 people. We currently share our files with Dropbox. We have the files on each of our computers and Dropbox syncs them to the cloud. Most of our files are between 100MB to 250MB each (Autodesk Revit). I am looking for a better file storage/ sharing/ networking solution. Should I go with a NAS? Do I need a server? What do y'all recommend?

Thanks!

A file server will increase your bandwidth for internal files depending on what speed the network is setup for. A NAS would work as well. The server option would give more functionality though depending on how you setup the device.

Should I go with a NAS? Do I need a server?

For 3 people you need nothing. You have 3x copies of your files + cloud backup. I guess your computers are wired - 100-250MB files are not a problem even if you transfer 10 at a time. Save your money.

Welcome to the forums @931Cummins.

Your solution will depend on the value of the files you're currently depending on Dropbox with right now.

If you decide a NAS is the right move, keep in mind that you will need at least two NAS (one will be backing up the other).

What is the cost of Dropbox right now with the amount of files you currently have? What capacity are you predicting to need in the next year or more? And again, what are these files worth to you (do you trust Dropbox with safeguarding them)?

A 6-Bay NAS with at least 3 Drives installed (times 2, for the backup) will be enough to get you going right now. And it will be many times bigger than what you can expect to pay for Dropbox for the next decade or so (that's how reliable NAS are).

Thanks for these replies!
Dropbox made me nervous recently when they blocked my ability to share my files with clients. They said there was a file that possibly could contain malware. The file ended up being a copy that dropbox made when I shared it.
The files are all of our cumulative work, so they are very valuable (to us anyway).

If I setup a NAS, how would performance be saving to files located on the NAS? Do you recommend backing up the NAS to something like Carbonite? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

If I setup a NAS, how would performance be saving to files located on the NAS?

About the same compared to what you have now, mostly limited by your network speed.

ability to share my files with clients

How you are planning to share the files with your customers in the future? I can tell you Dropbox is perhaps more secure than any small lower price NAS box with open to Internet access. Almost guaranteed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!