What's new

Smart lights Blubs Using Home Wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The more devices you put on a radio, the more you slow everything down connected to that radio. More radios = more throughput in a multi-device environment (I have 24 and growing)

Everyone said I was stupid when suggesting "Tri-band" routers were inverse of real-world requirements....

Always felt that one should have an N450/AC1900 for primary use, and the third radio can be N150/N72 on another channel to handle the IOT stuff on a dedicated radio and VLAN...

This kinda proves my case there....

In the short term - I'd buy a low-end N150/N300 device - gl-iNet AR150 sticks out as a really good choice, and put the IOT devices on it for a dedicated SSID and IP range, and then VLAN it out at the edge/gateway...

My house is still too big for one 2.4GHz wireless device. I would need at least 2. I am not ready for that for IOT devices. I would rather use my house wiring as it covers my whole house but at last it seems too expensive to support house wiring.

My house is still too big for one 2.4GHz wireless device. I would need at least 2. I am not ready for that for IOT devices. I would rather use my house wiring as it covers my whole house but at last it seems too expensive to support house wiring.

You'd be surprised at how far a 2.4GHz signal can go... my house is 1600 sq ft, and more than good enough - my yard is 23,000 sq feet, and it's still good enough for IOT apps

IOT things don't need a lot of Bandwidth, and their optimized for it.

2.4 is kind of a junk band at the moment, but it's still interesting.

Again - folks called me stupid for suggesting tri-band should be two 2.4GHz radios and one 5GHz...

With my work on science project (cafeole) and other efforts - I think I'm probably right on this one...

In the old days I did run the farthest wireless 2.4GHz I could find. My old house is 3300 sq ft long and flat and not square. No 2.4GHz will cover my house.

Always felt that one should have an N450/AC1900 for primary use, and the third radio can be N150/N72 on another channel to handle the IOT stuff on a dedicated radio and VLAN...

The problem with that is that we use our smartphones, a laptop, and desktops to control IoT devices, so everything would be on that VLAN, leaving nothing not on that VLAN... (some IoT devices require their app be on the same wireless network)

In the old days I did run the farthest wireless 2.4GHz I could find. My old house is 3300 sq ft long and flat and not square. No 2.4GHz will cover my house.
Running ethernet drops should be easy then. Connect 2 or 3 of them via ethernet, run a mesh, and you're good: solid, ubiquitous, reliable WiFi as God intended.

Many IoT devices are controlled from a website setup by their manufacturer so you can be on any VLAN, any subnet, any radio, any VPN client and as long as the device you are trying to control and the device you are trying to control it with have Internet access.

Because the security of many IoT devices is suspect I run most all of my devices on a router in front of my more secure network and for ones that connect using WiFi they connect to a guest network with Intranet access blocked.

This is probably a good security feature. How are they limiting access?
You've put the two on different broadcast domains; servers aren't always required

I certainly don't want to require Internet access to toggle switches in the same house and, contrarily, I certainly want Internet access to be able to control/monitor my devices from outside the house/network as well as for automation that spans networks.