What's new

Smart or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strainu

New Around Here
I want to give up my Linksys router for a more powerful one made from an Alix board. In order to do that, I would also need a switch, and I can't decide if it should be a 16 port gigabit unmanaged switch or an 5-8 port gigabit smart/managed switch. I'm aware there is a price difference between these

What does the "smart" thing offer except link aggregation? How do I know if I'll ever need it?

I'm currently using all 4 ports from the router and the network will very probably increase (2 computers, NAS, printer). However, I'm not so sure I would ever need more than 8 ports.

Can somebody help me make up my mind? :D

Take 2

I'm sorry, I made the question sound like a "noob" one. I read pretty much everything you have on switches on the site and some time ago I asked your advice on managed switches.

Due to some circumstances I had to postpone the acquisition and now I'm not so sure whether to go with a smart switch or not. So, what I wanted to know is: do the features of managed switches bring any added value to a network with:
* 5 users max at any time
* somewhere around 10-12 total devices
* mixed data (video, audio, games, etc.); no VoIP
* all kinds of servers, some of which have to be available to the exterior world
* a technology-aware, but not professional admin (that would be me)

Hope I've been clearer now.

I'm sorry, I made the question sound like a "noob" one. I read pretty much everything you have on switches on the site and some time ago I asked your advice on managed switches.
Not a problem. Glad you didn't take offense! :)

In a home situation, it's unlikely that a managed/smart switch would be worth the extra cost.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!