What's new

Smart Phones, a new direction??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iugrifma

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been a long standing fan of this site and have found the reviews, advice and discussions on it valuable info. In fact, I dont think there's a piece of kit I have bought in the last 2/3 years, which I havent checked out on here first before parting with my hard won cash... Till now.

I've been dragged into the smart phone world through virtue of being a long standing "road warrior" and a quick look round the site drew a blank for any purchasing suggestions or articles on how to use these small computing devices in conjunction with "ones" home network.

My suggesstion, is there any plan to look into how these appliances can be setup and configured to safely access your home network ?
Stuff that might be interesting would be:
How can you VPN from a public place back home?
Are there any apps to help keep your digital life secure? Phone 2 NAS backup?

Just a thought, but as the miniturisation of the world marches steadily on and a NAS now performs everything (more or less) than a "server" used to 5+ years ago, isnt the smart phone the platform of the today, nevermind the future!

Kind regards (keep up the good work),

Griffo.

Smart phones are a whole other ball o' wax and we won't really be covering them. But SmallCloudBuilder does and will be covering cloud based services and apps.

Look at Zumocast (& Zumodrive ), which provides:
- Desktop Apps for Windows/Mac/Linux
- Remote Access via web + Iphone Apps (they claim they are working on Android Appl as well)
This setup provides file access, including network shares if you have those shares present on the machine you are connecting to.

Similarly you can look at Windows Live Mesh with access via web & windows phone

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!