What's new

Smart thermostat / hub for Carrier HVAC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mk24spitfire

New Around Here
The Nest thermostat will not support the high efficiency Carrier HVAC units. On the Nest website it was listed as compatible so I gave it a shot. Installed OK, but then on first update it blew up the control board on the furnace, which ultimately had to be replaced. I called Nest about this and they looked it up and ultimately verified that the Nest thermostat was not compatible with the Carrier units. The Carrier equivalent, having phone access, is outrageously expensive. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I work at a hvac supply house, I would recommend Honeywell or the sensi. Honeywell sold through my company offers 5year warranty as the ones sold through home depot and lowes carry a one year warranty. Also if you have a carrier with the infinity controls it is a communicating stat that doesn't work off of 24v system hence your blown control board. they use dc voltage not ac. hope it helps. also the Honeywell require a common wire where the sensi does not as it runs off batteries. if you have questions don't hesitate to pm me i have over 14 years in the field.

Lotta mixed reviews on the Honeywell WiFi 'stats. But, who knows. Try and return if need be.

Lotta mixed reviews on the Honeywell WiFi 'stats. But, who knows. Try and return if need be.
I have 3 of them installed for about 2 years and have better luck with them than the ecobee i had before. but everyone mileage very also my 65 year old parents have no issues working them..

I have a vacation home with a Carrier Infinity heat pump with gas furnace. From what I could determine, only Carrier Infinity thermostats would provide all the features of the Infinity system. I was lucky to find a good deal on one of the Touch WiFi thermostats on eBay for about ⅔ the cost of new. Easy install and works great except for the crappy DSL I have to the house.

Hi..as per my knowledge if you have a carrier with the infinity controls it is a communicating stat that doesn't work off of 24v system hence your blown control board. they use dc voltage not ac. hope it helps. also the Honeywell require a common wire where the sensi does not as it runs off batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree that Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is more ' smart ' than it .
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is easy to setup, easy to use fully featured, reliable system for controlling the temperature in your home or business.

While this may not have the stylish design of the Nest Learning or the Ecobee3, inside, every bit as sophisticated and advanced as they can be.

The programming and any overrides that you may need can be carried out through the touchscreen or remotely through a computer, a smartphone or tablet (using the free Android or Apple app).

The onscreen display, which can be set to have 1 of 12 different color schemes, lets you know, the time and date, the indoor temperature and humidity and also the outdoor temperature and humidity. There also display remotely on your device.

Once the unit is programmed and operating, it learns how quickly you heating and cooling system takes to reach your set temperatures. So, for example, if you select that you want 70 degrees at 6 am the thermostat will turn on your heating system at the right time to ensure that your home is 70 degrees at 6 am.

Last edited: