What's new

SMB HDDs root folder shares with password protection on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
This is for a family member's Asus Router that 'just needs to work', but I got a specific request today from them.

How do I set up the Samba server on the router to show each USB hard-drive as it's own network share instead of the standard one folder hierarchy down the folder tree, but keep the password protection intact?

Example:
\\router.asus.com\FirstHDD\
\\router.asus.com\SecondHDD\

But still requiring username/password to access the files over the intranet.

I'd rather not touch the /etc/smb.conf file as it would be too easy to mess up the config and break the whole working setup...

But still requiring username/password to access the files over the intranet.

I'd rather not touch the /etc/smb.conf file as it would be too easy to mess up the config and break the whole working setup...
You can't, that's the way Asus has designed it. Username/password restrictions are done at the root folder level not the volume level. You might be able to customise the behaviour by modifying smb.conf but you said you didn't want to do that.

You can't, that's the way Asus has designed it. Username/password restrictions are done at the root folder level not the volume level. You might be able to customise the behaviour by modifying smb.conf but you said you didn't want to do that.
Okay, thanks. :)