What's new

so confused about new router AX What to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laptop

Occasional Visitor
I am so confused on getting new router. Why so many different choices?

I have RT-66u for a few years *maybe longer) I have read several posts and looked the RT - AX 68u and 86 Pro a well as the GT AW600. which I can not afford.

Read some not very favorable reviews on the RT-AX86 PRO.

Some back ground on me. in my 70's and not as teckie as I was when I was in my 60's let alone in my 30's. I connect a max about 8 or 10 devices. Just stream and surf the web usually no more than 5 , No gaming, mostly computers they are at least 3 years old and I plan on upgrading them as I can afford too but not with the latest most expensive stuff.

I would like easy setup, wifi 6 (for the newer systems when I get them) WPA3 if I can afford to get it. I use a VPN service.

And the best cheap place to buy it. I live in the USA, for reference . I would like to spend no more than $150 to $200.00.

Should I buy a used one? I didn't think so either. LOL!

Thank you,

I am so confused on getting new router. Why so many different choices?

I have RT-66u for a few years *maybe longer) I have read several posts and looked the RT - AX 68u and 86 Pro a well as the GT AW600. which I can not afford.

Some back ground on me. in my 70's and not as teckie as I was when I was in my 60's let alone in my 30's. I connect a max about 8 or 10 devices. Just stream and surf the web usually no more than 5 , No gaming, mostly computers they are at least 3 years old and I plan on upgrading them as I can afford too but not with the latest most expensive stuff.

I would like easy setup, wifi 6 (for the newer systems when I get them) WPA3 if I can afford to get it. I use a VPN service.

And the best cheap place to buy it. I live in the USA, for reference . I would like to spend no more than $150 to $200.00.

Should I buy a used one? I didn't think so either. LOL!

Thank you,
A good recommendation for you is an Asus RT-AX86S. Currently on sale for $172.00 from B&H Photo.

Better hardware than most. Should work with your VPN service. Has all the Asus features you need.

As stated the RT-AX86S works great and the price is right.

Reactions: Sky
Thank you all for the recommendation. It seems that everybody in agreement. I will check it out.
Your help very much appreciated

@laptop

Another option would be hooking up an AP to the existing router and disable the WIFI on the existing Asus. You can get an AP for less and it performs better. Paired with the newer adapters like the AX411 from Intel I can hit 1.5gbps using an NWA210AX ~$150 or their newer NWA220AX $180. The newer 220 model allows you to pick 5 or 6ghz bands i the configuration for those that value / need the AXE 6ghz due to congestion. If you want a true 2/5/6 tri-band there's the Netgear WAX630E but they'll run you significantly more at $350.

Paired with the newer adapters like the AX411 from Intel I can hit 1.5gbps

How exactly @laptop is going to "hit" 1.5Gbps with the existing RT-N(AC)66U >10 years old router? This router barely manages to do Gigabit in very basic configuration with most firmware options disabled. If it's the MIPS model anything NAT acceleration incompatible brings it down to 150Mbps.

Thank you all for the recommendation. It seems that everybody in agreement. I will check it out.
Your help very much appreciated
Just in case you wonder why we did not recommend one of the Asus lower grade routers it is your use of a VPN client. Using a VPN you may not get the full bandwidth use with your router but the AX86S should do as well as other higher priced models. FWIW I did buy a refurbished AX58U from Amazon just to use as a mesh node and it works well for $100.00.

but the AX86S should do as well as other higher priced models

Routers with ARMv8 CPU are better indeed, but @laptop has to be aware most popular VPN providers offer OpenVPN configuration files for router use and home router hardware is still limited to about 200Mbps even on most expensive models. WireGuard is an option if available.

Why so many different choices?

Free market, different price points, different technologies, and advancing standards (N, AC, AX, 6e, 7, etc!)

Where? It gets very good reviews everywhere I have seen.

And the best cheap place to buy it. I live in the USA, for reference .

Amazon, maybe NEWEGG if you select the "shipped and sold by Newegg" option.

I also hear B&H is good, or, your local Best Buy?

I would like to spend no more than $150 to $200.00.

I am not a big fan of TP Link (Asus and Merlin is my bag) but:

That first TP Link will probably do you fine.

And here is a long read, but cutting it down to your price point:

The TP link AX1500 (first router in article)

and

Best budget entry-level (AX1500) and mid-range (AX3000) Wi-Fi 6 routers for a small home​

This list includes dual-band 2×2 routers that range from affordable to semi-affordable. They all have a bandwidth cap of 2.4 Gbps or lower when used with 2×2 Wi-Fi 6 clients — there are currently no faster devices.

Geez: the AX50 is only $70.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMFZ28Q/?tag=snbforums-20

$180:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TH4D3QV/?tag=snbforums-20

Here is the RT-AX86U for $230

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJHS3X7/?tag=snbforums-20

Someone mentioned the S version would meet your needs as well.

But, it is a solid router, a workhorse, with good engineering, and, runs Merlin. (There is an old expression that "software sells hardware", Merlin is why I prefer Asus.)

But, TP link stuff runs fine.

You don't say how fast your internet connection is, but I am assuming sub 1gig.

Anyway, all those options: I don't use Linksys/Netgear anymore, Asus to me is a premium brand (Lexus), TP Link is like Kia or Hyundai, and I say that knowing that both those brands are solid and good and a good value.

Good luck, can you check back and report what you decided?