What's new

Soho Network Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In the old days we ran 65 people off 1 T1 lines with 10 megbit Ethernet connections. Actually, I remember the Novell days when we had 100 people running off a 56K line. We probably had more than 20 sites with 56K lines and a couple of thousand PCs. Those were the old days. Now days I would not do it. Everybody to his own opinion.

10gig in the Cisco small business line SG350 switches is very cheap now. I see no reason not to use them.

I actually remember using FDDI to connect to our internet pipe which we paid $5000 a month for. It does not mean I would use FDDI now.

1 gig is past, it is only good for clients anymore in todays time. Look five years forward especially if you are putting in new. I think you would be crazy to put in 1 gig uplinks now days but that is my opinion.

Last edited:
Okay so i have a quote from one vendor more to come in next 2-3 days.
So i have three options:

Option 1 juniper
Ex2200 x2 + srx300

option 2

catalyst 9200 x2 + isr 1100

option 3

catalyst 2960l + isr 1100.

So is any thing here too outdated or almost eol ?

If any alternative is to be suggested than what shall it be ?

I shall reiterate my requirements :

Gigabit lan across the office. or 10gig lan if possible without breaking the bank (no im not in us)
Segregate users according to groups.
Access to internet for only select groups / or specific employees.
NAS for backup ( raid 6 or 10), automatic backup
Wireless ap split into guest and secured executives channel.

There will be almost 55/65 employees + one port for cameras + 5 ports for bio metrics + 2-4 wireless ap's + 5-7 peripherals (printers / plotters) + nas for storage.

Internet shall be 100 mbps up/down

Google is your friend when it comes to looking up hardware.

What happened to your Sonicwall? I have heard they are good firewalls but I have never used one.

My choice would be to run a layer 3 switch at the core.

What are you going to do about wireless? You network picture is not complete?

Last edited:
there is just too much spec sheet and its a little exhausting hence i ask the gurus :D.
Sonic wall is paid for till next year.

Yes ex 2200 is eol by 2020/2021 so that's off the list.

i have decided to drop cisco, they have a lot of goodwill but the issue is the crappy licensing i need to pay for when buying new hardware.Old stuff is almost eol so money down the drain and all new gear switches and routers etc etc need their extortionist license.Their argument is hey we decreased the hardware prices but we need to gouge you on yearly basis so welcome to the club.

Rn im looking at juniper and hpe/aruba , far better option without the cisco bullsht.

@coxhaus been advised to trash and burn sonicwall tz300 the router/ firewall srx 300 looks is a very good option.Im getting 2x layer 3 switches or can i go for 1 layer 3 and 1 layer 2 switch , in this case how would it work ?

palo alto pa 220 looks goods but is it just a firewall or firewall + router ? it does list a wan port but im not able to get much info. its either srx300 or pa220 (getting quotes)

For the wireless ap's im looking at non subscription based models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why trash the Sonicwall? I have never used one but I have heard good things. It seems to have been keeping you running.

I have heard good things about Palo Alto firewalls also but again I have not use one.

I think Cisco Pro gear is the best but it is very expensive. Their small business line does not require all the licensing fees as the Pro gear but it is limited. The small business line would be much better than the crap you were running.

The only people which run EOL stuff are the experts that know what they are doing and don't need help.
You definitely need help with network planning as you don't really have any idea as to how to do this. It is best to go with what the Pros recommend.

Nobody knows how to setup all the stuff. If you buy what people recommend you are not going to be able to configure it. You need a system not a bunch of pieces of hardware. There are going to be experts for all brand names. You need to chose your experts and they will have their brand which they use. You do not need gear designed for home use.

Last edited: