What's new

SoHo with VLAN assignment for dual SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JFish222

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I've tried searching the forums and tried the router finder per another user's thread (wow what a great tool!!!!) No luck. I'm hoping someone in the community might be able to help.

I need to find a SoHo access point (or more likely router that I can use as one) to extend my wireless network.

Basic Requirements:

1. 802.11n
  2. 2 SSIDs (one for office access and one for guest users)
  3. VLan* assignments for each SSID
  4. < $100**

The Good News:
This is a 300 square foot office with the 1 long drywall wall segmenting it.
- I don't need extreme range, figure the farthest client is 30ft line of sight.​

I don't need the fastest throughput in the world or ultra low latency.
- no gaming, just accessing the web and shared files. Ok, maybe 1 rdp session if I'm feeling frisky.​

Whats with the funny asterisks?:
*The issue is that I am using a SonicWall TZ200 as my core so I assume I will need to use vlan's to maintain public/private network separation.

** The cost constraints are the biggest issue as I could always pickup a sonicwall sonicpoint AP. The problem is the unit alone is about $275 and then Sonicwall rapes you on support and firmware contracts. I really don't have the budget.

Contender?:
I think the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H might fit the bill
(reviewed here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31521-buffalo-wzr-hp-ag300h-reviewed)

But can't find any information on if the vlans can be assigned to the SSID's, etc.
I assume this functionality would be restrictred to the DD-WRT firmware but I couldn't find documentation on the feature and have no experience with it.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- J

If your looking for a decent router, I got the D-Link DIR-655. Was playing with the settings and it supports regular wireless and also a Guest Zone wireless connection.

its not too expensive, at $80CAD, it was a good price, cheaper then the buffalo airstation. The store recommended this over the buffalo because he said that the buffalo uses DD-WRT, which is really good but makes the unit works harder and over time it will die sooner.. Im not sure if its true but since the D-link was cheaper and have the option to upgrade all 3 antennas, i picked up 2.

I think the separate VLANs are the problem.

I'd get two cheap 11n routers, convert to APs, plug 'em into the TZ200 and assign them to the VLANs you want.

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate the input.

Thiggins is correct, the vlan aspect is the problem.

I did consider going the route of 2 cheap n routers and buy an 8 port smart switch to provide the vlan assignments (only one cable running to this floor from the closet where the router is located.).

I wa just concerned with cross talk. There will be two other routers close by (we share the floor with to other startups). To make matters worse, I did a site survey and picked up 10+ other networks with 20 to 60% reception (measured by lenovo wireless utility.)
Being in the middle of a business district with several buildings on top of each other makes for a noisey neighborhood I guess.

I fig'd I have better luck w/ reliabiliy and throughput if I minimized the number of channels . . .

Am I just over engineering this thing? :p

I was just concerned with cross talk. There will be two other routers close by (we share the floor with to other startups). To make matters worse, I did a site survey and picked up 10+ other networks with 20 to 60% reception (measured by lenovo wireless utility.)
Being in the middle of a business district with several buildings on top of each other makes for a noisey neighborhood I guess.
Keep a 10 foot separation between routers / APs and you should be fine.

Stick to channels 1, 6, and 11 and assign the two APs to different channels.
Do a site survey to determine which are the least used channels and use those.

Thanks thiggins and sorry for the delay'd response.

For some reason I didn't see an email notification of your response.

I can handle the 10ft spacing. As for the channels, there are a few AP's on overlapping channels. Do you think that will be a problem? I'm including a list of everything that I picked up in a sight survey.

On a side note (as I hold out hope) can anyone confirm/refute if VLans be assigned to the individual SSIDs on DDWRT? It will would at least mean one less channel that I'd need to populate.

Thanks again!

Observed AP's: (None under my control.)

Strength / Channel
99 / 5
83 / 44
81 / 1
68 / 9
51 / 1
51 / 11
45 / 11
41 / 1
38 / 149
26 / 11
23 / 9
23 / 11
23 / 1
21 / 9
21 / 6
18 / 6
18 / 1

Last edited:
The channels used are just part of what you need to consider. You also need to look at traffic on the channels if you can.

Based on what you found, I'd try Channel 11.

I don't know the answer your DD-WRT question.

Perfect, thank you for the advice!

I read through the SmallNetBuilder guide (found it on another thread) and will try one of the recommended programs to see if I can confirm (relatively) low traffic on channel 11.

Thanks for all your help!