What's new

Solved [SOLUTION] Problem Upgrading AiMesh Node from Asuswrt-Official to Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garycnew

All:

I am able to successfully add another RT-AC66U_B1 AiMesh Node to our network running the Asuswrt-Official (3.0.0.4.385_20633-g593a8ef) Firmware. However, when I attempt to upgrade the newly added AiMesh Node to Asuswrt-Merlin (384.19) it winds up in recovery-mode upon reboot.

I've upgraded a dozen of these RT-AC66U_B1 routers, as AiMesh Nodes, to Asuswrt-Merlin, but this is the first one that won't take.

Are there any known issues upgrading RT-AC66U_B1 to Asuswrt-Merlin and winding up in recovery-mode?

I've tried several different Asuswrt-Official and Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware combinations all with the same result.

Your assistance is greatly appreciate.

Respectfully,

Gary

why you will not back with this unit to router upgrade it and then configure it as Node.
for same reason same B1 unit when you upgrade as router are failed even - you need to use Asus Firmware restoration to do it.
why you are not using 386.3_2 I have it on 2 B1 and are working as AiMesh better than 384.19_0

why you will not back with this unit to router upgrade it and then configure it as Node.
for same reason same B1 unit when you upgrade as router are failed even - you need to use Asus Firmware restoration to do it.
why you are not using 386.3_2 I have it on 2 B1 and are working as AiMesh better than 384.19_0

@Adooni

Are you suggesting to configure the new RT-AC66U_B1 in router mode, upgrade, and then switch it to AiMesh Node?

I, too, have many RT-AC66U_B1 routers upgraded with Asuswrt-Merlin as AiMesh Nodes. This one is the only device that I've had problems with.

I plan to upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.x_x, eventually.

Respectfully,

Gary

yes, for same reason know only to Asus :) sometimes is not possible to upgrade soft for node. It is much easier to switch back to router upgrade and back to node if this challenge is present.

yes, for same reason know only to Asus :) sometimes is not possible to upgrade soft for node. It is much easier to switch back to router upgrade and back to node if this challenge is present.

@Adooni

I tried configuring the new RT-AC66U_B1 in router mode and then upgrade, but the same issue occurred were it winded up in recovery-mode after the upgrade reboot.

It then dawned on me that there might be an issue between the Asuswrt-Official and Asuswrt-Merlin nvram settings, so (after upgrading to Asuswrt-Merlin) with the power off I held down the WPS button on the router, applied power for 10-15 seconds (resetting the nvram to its default settings), released the WPS button, and then powered off the router. I then applied power to the router as normal and it booted into Asuswrt-Merlin without issue. Problem Solved.

I appreciate your suggestion and assisting me down the path to resolution.

Perhaps, this will assist someone else in the future.

Respectfully,

Gary