What's new

[Solved]Asus RT-AC86U web interface cannot be accessible after changing its LAN IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

liukuohao

Regular Contributor
Previously my router was sitting in the cabinet for some time, gathering dust,
so I took it out and started using it on my office network.

It had Asuswrt Merlin v386.4 installed.

All my devices in my LAN are in the subnet: 192.168.88.0 /24
So naturally, I changed the RT-AC86U's LAN IP to 192.168.88.1.

Everything is working on the LAN side, the DHCP server is working fine.
I have not gotten my internet working. I still need to access my router GUI to
make some changes to the VLAN setting.

Now, I have a problem, I cannot access my router GUI, its port HTTP is not open.
The same goes with my wifi, I tried to access it by using my mobile phone.
NO, go. I could not access it.

I reset the router, and then I was able to access GUI, but I cannot access it once
its default IP = 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.88.1

I tried updating to the latest firmware 386.5_2, same old story, I could not access its GUI.
Could someone give me some advice as to what I did wrong?

Thank you.

Under normal circumstances, the router should expose an HTTP port, for the user to access its router GUI,
for adjusting the settings. As you can see below, Advanced IP scanner has discovered the router has opened
HTTP port (see router = 192.168.50.1)

Asus RT-AC86U router HTTP web interface not working after change LAN IP1.jpg

I proceeded with the steps of changing the router's default IP from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.88.1

Asus RT-AC86U router HTTP web interface not working after change LAN IP2.jpg

Once the router changed to 192.168.88.1, my PC was assigned to 192.168.88.84 by the DHCP server.

Asus RT-AC86U router HTTP web interface not working after change LAN IP3.jpg

I used Advanced IP scanner software to scan the local network for IP addresses.
It found 2, the top one is the router RT-AC86U and the bottom is my PC = 192.168.88.84.
But the software did not discover any HTTP port open from the router.

So, now I cannot access the router GUI, if I try I will get the "page is not accessible" message from my web browser.

Asus RT-AC86U router HTTP web interface not working after change LAN IP4.jpg

Under normal circumstances, the router should expose an HTTP port, for the user to access its router GUI, for adjusting the settings.

Under normal circumstances, for example, the router static LAN IP is set to 192.168.1.1, its DHCP server IP Pool is set to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 for dynamic IP assignment to network clients, and you can browse to 192.168.1.1 or router.asus.com to login to the router webUI... without difficulty/conflict.

And be sure to reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize

OE

Under normal circumstances, for example, the router static LAN IP is set to 192.168.1.1, its DHCP server IP Pool is set to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 for dynamic IP assignment to network clients, and you can browse to 192.168.1.1 or router.asus.com to login to the router webUI... without difficulty/conflict.
Yes, correct.........but this is something out of the ordinary. o_O
Yes, I reset it many times, but I still failed to access the GUI when I changed it from the default IP = 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.88.1.

Yes, correct.........but this is something out of the ordinary. o_O
Yes, I reset it many times, but I still failed to access the GUI when I changed it from the default IP = 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.88.1.

Do you have the same issue if the only client connected to the router is your wired admin device/PC, with its IP in the range 192.168.88.2-254?

(Switch OFF the WiFi and disconnect all other LAN cables/clients.)

You may need to rethink your out of the ordinary IP usage.

OE

Finally, I tried reinstalling the original Asus RT-AC86U firmware (the latest one March 2022)

Everything is working fine. :D

I was able to access my router Web GUI at IP = 192.168.88.1

So my conclusion is, that there is a software bug in Merlin firmware.

2022-06-02_22-12-17.jpg

Do you have the same issue if the only client connected to the router is your wired admin device/PC, with its IP in the range 192.168.88.2-254?

(Switch OFF the WiFi and disconnect all other LAN cables/clients.)
I had only 1 wired PC (that is me @ IP = 192.168.88.84 see the command prompt diagram above) connected directly to the router
network ports at the back. Wifi was then later turned off.

So there was anyone client connected except me.

Probably, but likely unrelated to this issue. :)

OE
I wished Asuswrt Merlin was NOT the cause of my problem in the first place.

But, after trying to solve this painful & hair-pulling experience for almost half my day,

I left with no choice but to reinstall back the original stock firmware, and see what
have I personally done wrong with my settings.

As soon as I reinstalled back the original stock firmware, everything works like
a charm. I set my LAN IP = to 192.168.88.1, and then all other settings work as
expected. All the steps of configuration were the same- exactly the same as with
Asuswrt Merlin firmware installed.

I wish I can show you the video clip but I don't have one to prove my case.

If you have been using Advanced IP scanner, and if you are familiar with it,
the free program simply telling me that there is no HTTP port is opened
for user to login the web GUI, AFTER I changed the router IP = 192.168.88.1
which to me is very unusual. It is not supposed to block HTTP port.
Under normal circumstances, HTTP port should be opened.

Example below shows that HTTP port is opened on my UNraid server

2022-06-03_14-33-32.jpg

Last edited:
Changing the router's LAN IP range shouldn't cause a problem (obviously). And what you're doing is correct. There are lots of people (myself included) that don't use the router's default IP range.

So my only thought is that there's something strange going on specifically with 192.168.88.x. If you try using Merlin's firmware again see if you have the same problem switching to subnets like 192.168.1.x, 192.168.15.x, 192.168.99.x, etc.

You could also enable SSH access from the LAN on the router. If that works it would allow you to access the router's syslog and look for clues.

Last edited:
Changing the router's LAN IP range shouldn't cause a problem (obviously). And what you're doing is correct. There are lots of people (myself included) that don't use the router's default IP range.

So my only thought is that there's something strange going on specifically with 192.168.88.x. If you try using Merlin's firmware again see if you have the same problem switching to subnets like 192.168.1.x, 192.168.15.x, 192.168.99.x, etc.

You could also enable SSH access from the LAN on the router. If that works it would allow you to access the router's syslog and look for clues.
Thanks for dropping an advice. :)

I love to try out the different subnets you mentioned.
but at the moment my router is in the middle of setting up as a VPN server using stock Asus firmware.

But logically speaking, what in the world would a router behave like that if it is not caused by Asuswrt Merlin firmware?

But logically speaking, what in the world would a router behave like that if it is not caused by Asuswrt Merlin firmware?
I'd agree with you that at the moment everything seems to point to the Merlin firmware. But I can't think of any logical reason for that. I'm not aware of anything in Merlin's firmware (I searched the source code) that uses that IP address range.

The only things I could find on the internet that use 192.168.88.x are Netduma and MikroTik devices.

I'd agree with you that at the moment everything seems to point to the Merlin firmware. But I can't think of any logical reason for that. I'm not aware of anything in Merlin's firmware (I searched the source code) that uses that IP address range.

The only things I could find on the internet that use 192.168.88.x are Netduma and MikroTik devices.
I have a spare new TP-LINK Archer C6 which is capable to set up OpenVPN server.

I will replace this router with my current Asus RT-AC86U and will spend some time figuring out
why it is behaving this way.

Hi everyone.

I very much have the same problem, I can't access the Asus AX86U router GUI via web on 192.168.50.1 (over wireless) or 192.168.1.1 (wired). I even tried to SSH to the router but connection was also refused.

I flashed my router with Merlin firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.5_2 about a month ago and everything was fine. I could access the GUI via wired and wireless connection and always presented with the login screen requesting for ID and Password before showing the router GUI.

I have since two days ago been unable to get into the GUI via wired or wireless connections. I have limited access via the Asus remote router app that is installed on my phone but it does not have much ability to diagnose the problem.

Can anyone advise, how I can reflash my bios with the original ASUS bios in this scenario?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pat.

Hi everyone.

I very much have the same problem, I can't access the Asus AX86U router GUI via web on 192.168.50.1 (over wireless) or 192.168.1.1 (wired). I even tried to SSH to the router but connection was also refused.

Sounds like you are locked out.

Logging into the router webUI should be the same no matter wired or wireless.

I flashed my router with Merlin firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.5_2 about a month ago and everything was fine. I could access the GUI via wired and wireless connection and always presented with the login screen requesting for ID and Password before showing the router GUI.

I have since two days ago been unable to get into the GUI via wired or wireless connections. I have limited access via the Asus remote router app that is installed on my phone but it does not have much ability to diagnose the problem.

Can anyone advise, how I can reflash my bios with the original ASUS bios in this scenario?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pat.

Disconnect the router from everything except power and a wired PC. If you can't browse to its LAN IP address (default 192.168.50.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever you assigned it) or router.asus.com, then button reset the firmware, wait a bit, and try again... you'll have to reconfigure the firmware.

OE

Thanks OE I will give it a try.

Any chance it is a issue with the Merlin firmware? Cos I have not done anything to it other than using the router as a simple wired/wireless home router, and nothing else.

Thanks OE I will give it a try.

Any chance it is a issue with the Merlin firmware? Cos I have not done anything to it other than using the router as a simple wired/wireless home router, and nothing else.

Anything is possible but Asuswrt-Merlin is well-trusted and vetted around here. Monitor its subforum to stay informed.

If you need Merlin features, I would stick with it and recommission your network... reset the firmware and then configure it from scratch. Maybe this will achieve a reliable install... maybe you will discover a hardware issue.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize
Asuswrt
Asuswrt-Merlin (read the WiKi about reverting to Asuswrt)

OE

Hi guys, I managed to solve my own problem.

After installing AusWRT Merlin firmware, I changed from the default IP =192.168.50.1 to my desired IP = 192.168.88.1.
But after changing the IP, the WEB GUI refused to connect (I could not connect Asus web interface at 192.168.88.1)

The solution is power-cycle the router, and on the next boot up, I could access WEB GUI at 192.168.88.1 :)

I was able to reproduce the problem by following the steps below twice.
(Maybe @RMerlin is interested in the cause of the problem)

I connected my PC network port to the RT-AC86U router's LAN port.

1) Reset stock Asus RT-AC86U router firmware, by pressing the reset button at the back of the router.
The Power on LED will start to blink, after it blinks about 5 seconds, release the button.

2) Launch the WEB GUI, reconfigure all the settings when router (default IP = 192.168.1.1)
boots up and fill in the blanks in the Wizard

3) Log in to the router with the NEW username & password.
4) Go to the Administration menu.
5) Go to the Firmware Upgrade tab
6) Go to the last section: Aimesh, manual firmware update, press the upload wording.
Proceed to upload AsusWRT Merlin firmware of RT-AC86U router.

7) After a successful upgrade, the router will show the log in page.

8) Go to the LAN menu
9) Go to the LAN IP tab, change the default IP = 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.88.1 (my desired IP)
10) A message will pop out:
"Your LAN IP address & subnet mask has been changed. Your RT-AC86U IP pool of addresses
should be updated. Would you like to update your IP Pool of addresses automatically" = click OK button.

11) Now you will see that browser, change its IP address to 192.168.88.1

But no matter what you do, you cannot access WEB GUI at 192.168.88.1
Until I power cycle the router, then only I was able to access WEB GUI.

I know that step 1) is not necessary but that is probably why I had this problem.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are locked out.

Logging into the router webUI should be the same no matter wired or wireless.

Disconnect the router from everything except power and a wired PC. If you can't browse to its LAN IP address (default 192.168.50.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever you assigned it) or router.asus.com, then button reset the firmware, wait a bit, and try again... you'll have to reconfigure the firmware.

OE

Thanks OE, this worked for me. I can access the Router's web GUI.

liukuohao, glad to hear it worked out for you! sorry to have hijack your thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!