What's new

[SOLVED] Can't flash AsusWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gianpaoloracca

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm not an expert but I flashed some routers in the past years.
I would like to install AsusWRT-Merlin on my RT-AC87 which is currently running the firmware
3.0.0.4.382_51634-g2f3ef81
If I try to upload the merlin trx file I get the "Applying Settings..." screen, but not the flashing new firmware one.
The router reboots, but it's still on the AsusWrt firmware.
I read the wiki for installation but I didn't find any clue.
I already tried 3 times but nothing changed.
Could someone give me any hint?

Thanks,

Gianpaolo

remove USB if any
set to factory defaults and delete NVRAM (initialize enabled)
disconnect everything but laptop/PC
try again

Are you connected through WiFi or Ethernet when trying to update? Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports?

I'll try to reset it first (I thought it was necessary only if coming from non AsusWRT firmware)

All you should need to do is safely remove any USB devices via the GUI and reboot the router.

The flashing should now 'take'. :)

No USB devices. Already rebooted twice. No firmware flashing....

Did the flashing attempt reboot the router or did you manually reboot it and waited about 5 to 10 minutes before attempting to flash it?

Did the flashing attempt reboot the router or did you manually reboot it and waited about 5 to 10 minutes before attempting to flash it?

I had just rebooted after installing the latest official firmware. Then the reboots were consequences of a flashing attempt

I had just rebooted after installing the latest official firmware. Then the reboots were consequences of a flashing attempt

Pull the power plug from the router (and not from the AC wall plug) and wait 2 minutes.

Power up the router, wait a good 10 minutes and flash the firmware you want.

If this doesn't work, then you may need to first do a WPS NVRAM erase to get it to flash properly. ;)

Pull the power plug from the router (and not from the AC wall plug) and wait 2 minutes.

Power up the router, wait a good 10 minutes and flash the firmware you want.

If this doesn't work, then you may need to first do a WPS NVRAM erase to get it to flash properly. ;)

Ok. I’ll try when I will have the chance to stay without network for a while.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi, just an update to my issue.
Yesterday I tried again from a cable connected computer.
1. rebooted the asus router
2. uploaded the newest asuswrt-merlin firmware
3. everything went fine

I also want to point out that *every* setting of the original asus firmware (as OpenVPN server, DHCP reservation ecc.) was perfectly mantained. The only thing that wasn't working was that the openvpn server wasn't started automatically at boot, and I still have to find is there's a setting to enable it.

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Gianpaolo

Hi, just an update to my issue.
Yesterday I tried again from a cable connected computer.
1. rebooted the asus router
2. uploaded the newest asuswrt-merlin firmware
3. everything went fine

I also want to point out that *every* setting of the original asus firmware (as OpenVPN server, DHCP reservation ecc.) was perfectly mantained. The only thing that wasn't working was that the openvpn server wasn't started automatically at boot, and I still have to find is there's a setting to enable it.

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Gianpaolo
Yes, updating via ethernet cable is always the recommended procedure for obvious reasons.

There is no setting for the OpenVPN Server to start automatically at boot other than turning the server On. When the server is set to On, the server should automatically start when the router has booted. If it doesn’t, it indicates something is not right. Did it work properly before the update? Have you made any changes to the settings since it last worked properly?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!