What's new

[SOLVED] Router for 20+ devices streaming video: RAM or CPU is more important?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so

the issue is the router steeings above mean its just piggy backing on the back of the modem whilst its also in router mode , this not only means you have dual wan , but your still using the modems router and why its having issues

what is the make and model of your modem and are you adsl or cable or other

Thanks! My modem is a relatively old DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem uBee (Ambit) U10C018
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENFBC1Y/?tag=snbforums-20

Thanks! My modem is a relatively old DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem uBee (Ambit) U10C018
http://smile.amazon.com/Consumer-El...merly-Supply/dp/B00ENFBC1Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8

you may be lucky here as i think that is just a pure old cable modem without router built in so thats a plus and thus it shouldnt be causing you issues unless its caps are starting to go south

whats your cable plan speed as the U10C018 is capped at 42Mbps and its EOL and really old , if your going to stick with cable and the same provider you might want to ask then for a new cable modem , just make sure its ether one thats just a modem or one that can be bridged so you can still use the new router

you may be lucky here as i think that is just a pure old cable modem without router built in so thats a plus and thus it shouldnt be causing you issues unless its caps are starting to go south

whats your cable plan speed as the U10C018 is capped at 42Mbps and its EOL and really old , if your going to stick with cable and the same provider you might want to ask then for a new cable modem , just make sure its ether one thats just a modem or one that can be bridged so you can still use the new router

Our internet speed is only 15/2 Mbps I think so the modem should be more than capable of. We might try to call our ISP to see if we can have it replaced. Thank you very much for your help!

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a router that can handle around 20+ devices streaming video constantly 24/7. My current router - RT-N66U randomly loses connection and needs rebooting 2-3 times a day which is quite annoying. I couldn't find any buying guide that is specifically to my need. Also there isn't any discussion on which is more important: RAM or CPU when choosing router for multiple devices. Can anyone share your knowledge on this topic?

My budget is less than $120. Any router suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!
check out the new rt68A form amazon it's the same as the rt68U and its only 115

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLM5Y/?tag=snbforums-20

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a router that can handle around 20+ devices streaming video constantly 24/7. My current router - RT-N66U randomly loses connection and needs rebooting 2-3 times a day which is quite annoying. I couldn't find any buying guide that is specifically to my need. Also there isn't any discussion on which is more important: RAM or CPU when choosing router for multiple devices. Can anyone share your knowledge on this topic?

My budget is less than $120. Any router suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

20 streaming video devices... highly doubt that any single consumer grade AP can handle this - it's not a bandwidth thing, it's an airtime issue - tossing those streamers in with general WiFi usage likely won't end well...

Setting up a dedicated WAP (assuming that all those streamers are WiFi) is a better solution - Edimax, TP-Link, Zyxel - they all sell dedicated AP's at very reasonable prices - put them up, connect it to ethernet, and put in a dedicated SSID for the cameras, and you'll be right as rain...

check out the new rt68A form amazon it's the same as the rt68U and its only 115

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLM5Y/?tag=snbforums-20

Oh great. Thanks for the info!

20 streaming video devices... highly doubt that any single consumer grade AP can handle this - it's not a bandwidth thing, it's an airtime issue - tossing those streamers in with general WiFi usage likely won't end well...

Setting up a dedicated WAP (assuming that all those streamers are WiFi) is a better solution - Edimax, TP-Link, Zyxel - they all sell dedicated AP's at very reasonable prices - put them up, connect it to ethernet, and put in a dedicated SSID for the cameras, and you'll be right as rain...

Can I setup my old RT-N66U as a AP? If not, can you link me few good ones in your opinion? TiA

Update: adding 2nd router as AP helps. I migrate about 10 devices to the RT-N66U. The system has been up for few days without the need for a reboot/reset

Finally I asked our ISP to replace our very very old modem (200 MHz & 8 MB RAM, date 2004) with a "newer" one (800 MHz & 32 MB RAM, date 2010). Our network has been very stable ever since. So the modem was the problem after all!

Last edited:
glad we got you there in the end :)

One last question if you don't mind. I remember you mention about putting the modem to Bridge mode to disable its routing functionality. However, I couldn't really find a "switch" to do something like that in the modem GUI. I did discover an option named "Pass through" but not really sure if it was what I'm looking for. Can you help me? TiA

gVCRAqt.png

bTGTVb8.png

pOQM5Dh.png

hi , sorry but i dont know the modem but it might be just disabling the nat

i dont think passthrough is what you are after

whats the make and model number of the cable modem

hi , sorry but i dont know the modem but it might be just disabling the nat

i dont think passthrough is what you are after

whats the make and model number of the cable modem

So I contacted Ubee fantastic customer support and obviously there are two ways to login to the modem: normal user or admin. The "Operation mode" only showed up in admin mode

G9yPiFP.png

So I contacted Ubee fantastic customer support and obviously there are two ways to login to the modem: normal user or admin. The "Operation mode" only showed up in admin mode

ah there ya go , leave it in bridge mode and connect the router behind it in dynamic ip mode , i assume your isp doesnt use pppoe as its connection method

Update on RAM & CPU usage: not that much, plenty of free resources despite having 25+ devices running simultaneously

FTUw4Fz.png