What's new

(SOLVED) RT-AC68U disconnects phone but not laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flying Dutchman

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and a Sony Xperia Z1C smartphone.
Since today I have the following issue with my RT-AC68U
- connecting the laptop to the 2.4 GHz is working OK
- connecting the Xperia to the 2.4 GHz is just for a second, than it drops
- connecting the Xperia to the 5 GHz is working OK

The Xperia is not remembering the WPA2 code for the 2.4 GHz, while it does for the 5.

RT-AC68U has firmware 378.7498

I tried the AC68U in both router and AP mode: same story.

It used to work ok. But I played around with different firmware versions, starting with HGGOMES 55_3_final, then Merlin's latest. I noticed the issue for the first time with HGGOMES version. Going back to the latest stock didn't solve the issue.

I did factory default from within the GUI, using the WPS button, reset button.
I put the AC68U in recovery mode and flashed the latest stock.
I did not use backup/restore: all was done manually every time.
I changed the SSID of the 2.4 GHz several times: no solution.

I am at the end of my toolbox: no solution found.

Did I damage my CFE by flashing HGGOMES firmware? If so, how do I restore with the factory version?

Or is there another explanation?

Hopefully someone recognizes the problem and has the solution ....

Disable beamforming options, and set it to channel 1, 6 or 11 (don't leave it on Auto).

Disable beamforming options, and set it to channel 1, 6 or 11 (don't leave it on Auto).
Thanks for your suggestions.
I already had it allocated to channel 1.
I disabled both beamforming settings, but the problem persists :(

Thanks for your suggestions.
I already had it allocated to channel 1.
I disabled both beamforming settings, but the problem persists :(
Try setting to 11 and see if you still have an issue. If you are near other houses 6 is the default and lots of saturation. Cable company hot spots many use 1 so you could have saturation. Make sure to forget network on the phone to clear any settings stored and see if you have a better go of it.

Try setting to 11 and see if you still have an issue. If you are near other houses 6 is the default and lots of saturation. Cable company hot spots many use 1 so you could have saturation. Make sure to forget network on the phone to clear any settings stored and see if you have a better go of it.
I tried channels 1, 6, 12, 13, : no difference.
I changed SSID: no effect
I did clear all network data in the phone (Android 5, forget seems to be the only "clear" action ??)
There are no surrounding wifi networks here: huge garden :) . WiFiAnalyzer shows my own signals only.

In the meantime I tested many more clients: so far all work. The final test will be this evening: my daughter has an identical mobile phone and I will connect it to this troublesome AP. This will tell me if it is my phone only or a Sony<->Asus issue.

Thanks for your reply!

Well, the test with the Xperia Z1C of my daughter is positive for her: her phone operates with the AC68U without any problem.
So it is my phone causing the trouble....

When this happens the moment you play with different firmware versions and sources (hggomes, merlin and stock asus) you tend to point the finger to the router. This time that was wrong.

Well, I will factory reset the phone, see what happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!