What's new

Sony TV doesn't see DLNA media server on ac87u on 5 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alex-ks

Occasional Visitor
I have a sony tv connected to 5 Ghz wifi asus ac87u (latest official firmware). There is a media server enabled there. It's working as I can connect to it on my iphone using 8player app. However this server is not available on my sony tv.
Is there any specific configuration needed to connect them?
PS: 1. when i run Plex dlna server on my laptop, it's available on tv, so the problem is in asus configuration
2. Also when I connected to 2.4 GHz wifi, my tv can found DLNA server as well.
Any ideas why it''s not working on 5GHz?

Last edited:
Are you certain the TV supports 5GHz?

Just saying - based on your observations - I'd suggest it probably isn't...

2. Also when I connected to 2.4 GHz wifi, my tv can found DLNA server as well.
Any ideas why it''s not working on 5GHz?
Go to Wireless > Professional and toggle between the 2.5GHz and 5GHz settings. See what differences there are between the two bands. Pay particular attention to "Set AP isolated" and "Enable IGMP snooping".

Also, set your 5GHz channel manually to 36 just in case there's some issue with the TV and DFS channels.

Is the TV connected to 5GHz using a guest network? If so, try using the primary network.

Your problems seem slightly different since you first reported them here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/media-server-on-asus-87u-is-not-working.36396/

2.4 ghz professional page has more settings than 5ghz's one. But the settings 5ghz has are the same as 2.4. Set ap isolated and enable igmp snooping are both turned off on both networks.
I already tried 36 chanel. It didn't help.
Tv is connected to primary network.
Yes, the initial problem was resolved. I brought my router to the shop. They did something (they said they re-uploaded firmware 3.0.0.4.380_4180-ge57f472 ) and after that router doesn't disappear any more and works fine (except dlna on tv on 5ghz)

Last edited:
When I was having problems with media server not showing on some of my TV's I come across another thread on here suggesting turning on the following.
LAN - IPTV
Enable multicast routing (IGMP proxy)
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP snooping)

This worked perfectly for me, but my setup is different to you. AC87u wired to all Samsung tv's.

Something to try and rule out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to enable this:

And all the evening media server was available on 5GHz ! Will test it more and let you know, but it's already definitely a success. HUGE THANKS!

Tried to enable this:

And all the evening media server was available on 5GHz ! Will test it more and let you know, but it's already definitely a success. HUGE THANKS!

I am glad it worked for you, I can't remember who originally mentioned this in another thread, but hats off to them. I was scratching my head for weeks!

I am glad it worked for you, I can't remember who originally mentioned this in another thread, but hats off to them. I was scratching my head for weeks!

Huge thanks - I quickly tried it and could watch a movie without any issues. Interesting why it fixes the issue - why do we need IGMP snooping given I am on the same L2 network, do we know that? I just would like to understand the background info.

Cheers!

Brilliant news! I too would like to know why this fixes dlna issues.
And I really wish I could remember at what merlin Firmware these settings revert back to disabled, as I am sure the earlier releases they were enabled by default and never had this problem before.
Maybe @RMerlin could shed some light?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!