What's new

Sorry if it's already been asked AX86U Merlin FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TehNext

Occasional Visitor
Sorry,
I've looked through the forums and find anything. Is Merlin planning to release his FW for the AX86U?

Thanks and soz once again.

Seen further down.

Reason I ask is I have a return window and if it's not going have support I'll swap it back out for a third time luck try at the AX88U.

The list of supported routers is the only official way to know if a router is RMerlin supported or not.

If you want/need RMerlin firmware, don't buy different models. And even then, make sure that the models supported are not getting dropped 'soon'.

Like the
RT-AC87U: 384.13_10
RT-AC3200: 384.13_10

Which their firmware suggests (vs. the other models with 384.19_0 firmware).

Well, I have this router with a return window until the end of January 2021. Think I'll return it by then, may as well get a WiFi6e.

I'll maybe jump back on to my old AC68U with Merlin on it. Not sure how well it will handle my new 1gig net connection though.

Well, I have this router with a return window until the end of January 2021. Think I'll return it by then, may as well get a WiFi6e.

I'll maybe jump back on to my old AC68U with Merlin on it. Not sure how well it will handle my new 1gig net connection though.
From what has been posted here Merlin firmware support probably won't come to the AX86U anytime soon but who knows...eventually it might. I wouldn't put too much weight on that right now because unless there are some must have feature that you miss then for most of us the stock firmware has more than enough bells and whistles to keep us occupied for a long time. You can wait for Wifi 6E but Asus only has one router supporting 6E scheduled for release this December 2020 but if you can wait a few more months into 2021 I'm sure more 6E routers will be announced by the different makers. However you can be sure that they will be very expensive... much more than the current $250 USD for the AX86U and those new 6E routers probably won't have Merlin firmware support either. Another thing to consider is if you are into gaming or want the lowest latency for your 1 gig internet connection then you already got it since the AX86U is one of the lowest latency routers ever tested according to many online reviewers...for example read the article link here... Asus took the best gaming router and added Wi-Fi 6 speeds .

Last edited:
Whilst nothing is official, the AX86U is supported on the 386 branch of firmwares so it’s likely when Merlin has merged that branch into his firmware’s that the AX86U will be supported.

@TehNext Personal attacks and foul language are not tolerated on these forums. You have earned a 7 day ban.

Merlin has no plans or AX86u and may or may not change. So swap routers if you want merlin now

And go easy, tom higgins seems to be on PMS these days with lack of income from ad clicks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!