What's new

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewizard1241

Regular Contributor
If the modem is seperate to the router and is connected via ethernet, will restarting the router affect the modem? My guess is no?

My isp uses Dynamic Line Managment which basically monitors the quality of the line, and if theres frequent restarts or poweroffs within a short amount of time, it lowers the speed to try and restabilise the line. I want to be able to restart the router or make configs which require restarts as many times as possible without triggering DLM. So im guessing restarting the router when the modem is external shouldnt count as a reboot to the line since the modem is not being rebooted? Correct?

Correct.

also, DLM isn't as aggressive as what you might think.
a single reboot of the modem is going to have no affect on the line.

you'd need to "ungracefully" drop the modem connection numerous times over a set period of time before anthing would happen.
you can do as many graceful disconnections as you like.
i'm guessing your using an openreach based ISP.

also, DLM isn't as aggressive as what you might think.
a single reboot of the modem is going to have no affect on the line.

you'd need to "ungracefully" drop the modem connection numerous times over a set period of time before anthing would happen.
you can do as many graceful disconnections as you like.
i'm guessing your using an openreach based ISP.
Im with Sky fibre UK, i read it allows for up to 10 reboots/or power offs within 24 hours. But i do notice even after just 1 reboot, my speed lowers and latecy goes higher for about 2 days before returning back to normal. I do configure my router quite a bit so im just waiting for drayteks G.Fast modem to arrive in the UK then ill use that

surprised you can use a differnet modem with sky fibre, as they are know to be quite strict about not allowing any device other than their supplied hub to make the connection.
they don't supply the user/pass required to allow you to use a different modem - unless they have changed their policy recently.

You no longer need a user and pass, they’ve lifted their restrictions HOWEVER, will not support any 3rd party solution you implement. Any router you use must support MER authentication (dhcp option 61) such as asus routers with merlin firmware. But any issues that occur, you must have the original sky modem put back on before any engineer comes out to fix anything

MER DHCP 61 still requires a user/pass to connect.
Correct! However you dont need a specific unique one like the old days, now you can literally use any generic user and pass provided its in the correct format. Unlike the old days where u had to use wireshark to extract your unique user n pass, is no longer required as any generic one will do