What's new

SPAN and Trunk ports on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pelias

New Around Here
Hi,
I would like to setup reasonable monitoring of my home network.
Since I already have one PC that is basically a server, I would like to install Snort on it, then setup Trunk port between them and SPAN mirror the traffic via dedicated VLAN.

RT-AC56U looks like a very capable hardware, but so far I haven't found a way to set it up like that :( Unfortunately doing passive tap is out of question (would have to drill through 30cm rebar concrete walls, not to mention that approaching trivial software problem with heavy duty construction equipment seems like retarded option:/)

Is there a sane way to do that?

Last edited:
Hi,
I would like to setup reasonable monitoring of my home network.
Since I already have one PC that is basically a server, I would like to install Snort on it, then setup Trunk port between them and SPAN mirror the traffic via dedicated VLAN.

RT-AC56U looks like a very capable hardware, but I havemn't found a way how to set it up like that so far:( Unfortunately doing passive tap is out of question (would have to drill through 30cm rebar concrete walls to lay new cabling, not to mention that this seems like retarded option)

Is there a way to do that?

Great question, I would like to know this as well. Any way to span a port using asuswrt merlin?

Hi,
that works on IP level.
I won't see anything that isn't IP, I won't see l2 attacks, I won't see any "funny business" things I would like to see.

Also, there are performance issues to consider and approaching it from iptables defeats the whole point of having a built-in switch.

In short - not a solution.