What's new

Spanning-Tree Protocol On or Off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

:confused::confused::confused: I think you misunderstand what STP is. There's no requirement to use STP at all. In fact unless you've got multiple routers wired together in a potential loop configuration there is no point in enabling it (although you might want to "just to be safe").

So your saying IF i just behind 1 router not much point to have STP enabled, but there is also no reason to have disabled either, I know my hopper 3 takes internet connection and shares it with 3 joeys via it MoCA, like said i dont mess with it use to off by default now it on by defualt i never really any difference either way, like the HPET timer debate on PC i think it best to leave only on it defualt setting less you no an issue is cause specifically by it

So your saying IF i am just behind 1 router not much point to have STP enabled, but there is also no reason to have disabled either
Correct.

, I know my hopper 3 takes internet connection and shares it with 3 joeys via it MoCA, like said i dont mess with it use to off by default now it on by defualt i never really any difference either way, like the HPET timer debate on PC i think it best to leave only on it defualt setting less you no an issue is cause specifically by it
Sorry, I don't know anything about MoCA and have no idea what a hopper or joey is.

dish networks latest and greatest buggy solution to whole house dvr some earlier said STP would help if multiple protcols are used, or something to the extent

dish networks latest and greatest buggy solution to whole house dvr some earlier said STP would help if multiple protcols are used, or something to the extent
Ah, that's quite possible. See post #12. I was talking about a "normal" Ethernet network.

If in doubt leave in on. It won't do any harm.

If it's similar to DirecTV - the whole home DVR thing - don't cross the streams - give them a single port and let their stuff run on that port.

DTV will set up their own NAT'ed network, behind the router...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!