What's new

spdMerlin - odd results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jc259

New Around Here
I've noticed many state their tests are inaccurate (downloads not fast enough) likely due to the router performance but I have a bit of a different situation. My PC downloads and uploads are pretty much equal and consistent 950+ Mbps however with spdmerlin I am seeing downloads of 400 Mbps and uploads of 750 Mbps consistently. Wondering if anyone else has seen this type of inconsistency or if anyone has any ideas why this might be? I am concerned I might have something misconfigured on the router causing it. Using an AC86u with 386.4, Diversion and Skynet running on it.

I've noticed many state their tests are inaccurate (downloads not fast enough) likely due to the router performance but I have a bit of a different situation. My PC downloads and uploads are pretty much equal and consistent 950+ Mbps however with spdmerlin I am seeing downloads of 400 Mbps and uploads of 750 Mbps consistently. Wondering if anyone else has seen this type of inconsistency or if anyone has any ideas why this might be? I am concerned I might have something misconfigured on the router causing it. Using an AC86u with 386.4, Diversion and Skynet running on it.

Search on this web site is your best resource. Short answer the processor on your router limits how fast it can run a speed test. Nothing you can do to improve it.

Try to disable Skynet and see if the speedtest is more accurate ...

Try to disable Skynet and see if the speedtest is more accurate ...
Interesting - does Skynet impact your speedtest results?

I don't think it has an impact on the Internet speed ... I think it is affecting spdMerlin speedtest within the router.
In my case I was given inaccurate speed test on the router speed test page and on the spdMerlin script, but if I was running a normal speed test from the website, the readings were accurate.
I played a bit with the scripts installed(more of a trial and error) and discovered that Skynet has the culprit for it ... at least in my case ... I think it is related with the CPU speed... not sure ... maybe someone else can investigate.

I don't think it has an impact on the Internet speed ... I think it is affecting spdMerlin speedtest within the router. In my case I was given inaccurate speed test on the router speed test page and on the spdMerlin script, but if I was running a normal speed test from the website, the readings were accurate.
Cool, so we're just talking about test results, not real life speeds. However, not sure what you mean by accurate vs inaccurate - can you provide results from spdMerlin and results from whatever website you're testing from?

I played a bit with the scripts installed(more of a trial and error) and discovered that Skynet has the culprit for it
This is interesting - can you describe what exactly you did? I'm guessing you got higher speeds on spdMerlin with Skynet uninstalled / turned off ?

Ok,
Let me clarify this for for.
With Skynet on, on my 500/80 connection I was getting a 200MB less - 300/80. This reading I was getting it on the router side when I was running the speed test under the QoS tab and SpdMerlin script - both of them are provided be Ookla under - speedtest.net.
When I run a speed test on that website with a wired laptop, I was getting my real speed - 500/80. The same reading o was getting it on other website like fast.com, etc.
What I am trying to say is that the real speed was not affected - in my case - only the way it was reported by the script was wrong - on the router side. I was able to get the same readings ( browser and router scripts) after I disabled Skynet.
So if you are not bothered by inaccurate readings, either disable the speedtest script or just ignore its readings and keep skynet on ... otherwise ... disable Skynet.
Hope it makes sense.

Yes that makes sense thanks, that's good information.

You're running at faster speeds than I am on the same hardware and (pretty much) the same firmware, so I can't rule out that it might be a CPU issue like you suggested. However, in order to make sure I'm wondering if you could uninstall Skynet, then report back on spdMerlin results?

Yes that makes sense thanks, that's good information.

You're running at faster speeds than I am on the same hardware and (pretty much) the same firmware, so I can't rule out that it might be a CPU issue like you suggested. However, in order to make sure I'm wondering if you could uninstall Skynet, then report back on spdMerlin results?
You don't need to uninstall Skynet -- simply temporarily disable it via CLI option 9 for testing, and then re-enable it.