What's new

Speed over Wifi vs Wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

Hi everyone. I have a problem and not sure if there are any settings that I need to change. My speeds over Wifi is about 130 mbps where as over LAN/Hardwired its about 220 mbps. I have an AC card and that connects at 866.5 Mbps. I used to get 220 over wifi as well but not sure what has changed.

Attached is my settings. Do you recommend I change something? I am on VPN.
much thankss

https://imgur.com/a/PLhQbpH

Hi everyone. I have a problem and not sure if there are any settings that I need to change. My speeds over Wifi is about 130 mbps where as over LAN/Hardwired its about 220 mbps. I have an AC card and that connects at 866.5 Mbps. I used to get 220 over wifi as well but not sure what has changed.

much thankss

On the Professional Tab, try disabling MIMO and Universal Beamforming.

Which router, which firmware version?

Does the wireless band make any difference?

How far away from the router is the wireless device and how many walls, floors, flat-screen tvs are in between?

Have you tried different frequencies within the band in case neighbours or other interference is affecting the results? Did you check with something like Inssider to see if there are obvious overlapping frequencies? (Nothing new added to the house or the neighbours like automatic garage doors?)

It’s ASUS 86u latest Merlin firmware. I checked frequency and it was clear. The wireless laptop is right next to the router hardly about 2 feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

much thankss

What is your isp speed that you pay for

The things I notice immediately:
  • You are on VPN.
  • You are not using Auto for the Wireless Mode.
  • You have Universal Beamforming enabled.
  • There is a space in your SSID
Are there any other settings you've adjusted off their defaults?

I would start by testing when not on VPN, to rule that aspect out, or not.

Disable Universal Beamforming and set the Wireless Mode to Auto. I would remove the space in you SSID too, you don't know what future weirdness it may bring. ;)

Without vpn still the same. The speed struggles
Wireless mode I just changed this morning.
Wireless name I’ll change and test
Universal beem forming I didn’t enable.

Let’s see tonight when I get back home

Without vpn still the same. The speed struggles
Wireless mode I just changed this morning.
Wireless name I’ll change and test
Universal beem forming I didn’t enable.

Let’s see tonight when I get back home

In your screenshot, Universal Beamforming is enabled. ;)

What other defaults have you changed?

After testing the above, and if it still shows no improvement;

Find a few spots for one or more of your wireless devices that you can reliably place/orient exactly the same each time. An ac powered (here, I mean plugged into the ac power socket) device is better than a handheld device which may be throttling the WiFi to save battery.

When you have chosen your main client device and its most used location, it is worth testing for the best location and orientation of the router with it there. The antennae should be all straight up if all your (main) devices are on the same level in your home. But moving the router as little as six inches left/right/up/down and playing with the orientation too at each may make a marked improvement when combined with the process below.

When changing the router's location/orientation the changes I am looking for at the client device is an increase on the internet/surfing responsiveness. That indicates that the connection between the client and router is more or less 'solid' and less error correction is taking place and more data is transmitted (both ways) per time slice. :)

These spots/locations should be the ones that are used the most with those specific devices for best maximum effect.

Find and use more than one speedtest site to test with each device, at each location, that you have available. Also, have a few sites that you normally browse handy too. After every change listed below, note how the responsiveness of the internet compares/correlates to the 'speed stats' the test sites show. To me and many customers, this is the most important aspect of the network, rather than the raw/highest performance it can achieve. :)

With the above in place, a sheet of paper for notes and a pencil, do the next steps repeatedly until you have found the best channel overall for your environment.
  • Ignore any 'wifi' utilities you may have access to. Really. They are not needed and just waste your time analyzing partial wireless info. ;)
  • Only change the Control Channel as listed below, make no other changes during this testing.
  • Ensure that the test client devices are used in the exact location (I use a few small tables and put them on it) and orientation.
  • Now, change the Control Channel to the lowest possible number. Wait at least a minute or two for the router to settle and the client to re-authorize, and then test that channel with each device and location chosen above. Make sure you take good notes. :)
  • Now increase the Control Channel to the next lowest number and repeat. Write down your notes.
  • Repeat the above process until you have tested all the channels available (I might ignore the DFS channels though, depending on your area).
After the testing is done, analyze your notes to choose the channel you'll now use.

The reason why I say to ignore any WiFi utilities when doing this is that unless you spend a lot of money, they all give very little useful information for setting an actual Control Channel to use. Not only do most/all ignore the WiFi/wireless load of the channels in use, but they are also doing it at the wrong end of the link (they all do it at the client's device location).

In reality, the router (and it's location and orientation) determine what interference and therefore what error corrections, the link to the client device 'needs'.

Using utilities that don't understand this is often an exercise in futility and with usually subpar WiFi performance except for being able to show a higher 'number' value which in the end doesn't mean anything if the network feels slow and sluggish in actual use.

Testing each channel like outlined above will quickly and accurately show you what the best overall channel is for your WiFi environment. If new neighbors move in next door, new routers start popping up or if your devices (or firmware, sometimes!) changes, it is worth repeating this 'tuning' above to better match the changed wireless environment then. WiFi 'tuning' isn't a science, or a one time act. It is something that evolves over time. :)

I have disabled beamforming and I now get 260 mbps over wifi Without VPN
However when on VPN, I still get 130 mbps on Wireless but on wired and with vpn, I get about 210 mbps

Confusing.

I have disabled beamforming and I now get 260 mbps over wifi Without VPN
However when on VPN, I still get 130 mbps on Wireless but on wired and with vpn, I get about 210 mbps

Confusing.

No, not really. :)

Every layer that you add will affect WiFi with its error detection routines much more than a hardwired connection will.

So without VPN, you get more than your paid-for ISP speeds. That's great. :)

It is now time to optimize your VPN.

Do that by finding a faster, closer server. Finding a server that is less saturated with other users. Finding a better VPN provider. Tweaking the VPN options available to increase the speed.

Right now, we have proven that the WiFi is working optimally.

(Did you find a better Control Channel than what you had used before)?

Did you try any of the other suggestions?

If you haven't, you may find even more performance from your network, including your VPN service, as-is. ;)