What's new

Speedtest history still on device after hard reset (RT-AX92U)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kerb

New Around Here
Hi all,

I did a hard reset on my RT-AX92U (power off, hold WPS, power on, wait for power led to go down). I then did a full manual reconfigure.
Now I noticed that the speedtest history (QoS - Internet Speed) is still there?

I thought the hard reset was a factory reset and so ALL settings/storage would have been cleared?
Is the method I used good enough to have a real clean config, or should I use a different way?

Thanks!
K

Hi all,

I did a hard reset on my RT-AX92U (power off, hold WPS, power on, wait for power led to go down). I then did a full manual reconfigure.

I thought the hard reset was a factory reset and so ALL settings/storage would have been cleared?
Is the method I used good enough to have a real clean config, or should I use a different way?

Thanks!
K

Is this what you did?

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

OE

Hi all,

Thanks!
K
For my AX86U a hard factory reset does not always clear everything. GUI factory reset with initialize does.

Is this what you did?

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

OE
Yes.

For my AX86U a hard factory reset does not always clear everything. GUI factory reset with initialize does.

That is bad, no? Why would they be different, and why would a hard reset clear less than a GUI reset ...

I never liked the button resets... the less certain the momentary switch/actuator, the less sure I am of holding it down as required. But in this case, the firmware may be overlooking some data.

OE

That is bad, no? Why would they be different, and why would a hard reset clear less than a GUI reset ...
Known issue for some time. Even Merlin mentioned it a while back.

It has been known for years that doing multiple resets, using multiple methods, and even multiple times of all those methods is needed for certain router models and/or network environments.

The Nuclear Reset guide didn't magically appear from thin air, after all. ;)

It has been known for years that doing multiple resets, using multiple methods, and even multiple times of all those methods is needed for certain router models and/or network environments.

The Nuclear Reset guide didn't magically appear from thin air, after all. ;)

My standard has been the webUI Restore+Initialize... sometimes followed with a button Reset for good measure when I'm feeling OCD about it. WebUI Restore+Initialize has been reliable here with N66U, AC68U, AC86U, and now AX86U.

OE

It`s not a matter of reliability, it`s a matter of Asuswrt now also storing data in the JFFS partition. When reseting through the webui, you need to also select the option to "Initialize all settings", which will also wipe the JFFS partition in addition to nvram.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!