What's new

Spoof traffic marks to another mark?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

Hey guys so my isp throttles my download speed by default to 10mbps for about 5 seconds. Then 20mbps and then my package which is 50mbps. Interestingly, this limit doesn't happen on fast.com which is using netflix's servers. So idk if it detects it thru the traffic marks or the servers it's going , anyways. Say it's the mark. Could I theoretically spoof all of my traffic so the modem sees all my traffic having netflix's mark? . Thanks

The ISP already applies QoS to your incoming traffic, which is probably why Netflix streams don't get throttled (being higher priority media). Your router handles QoS on outgoing packets.

Downloads can easily be throttled by your ISP, if they so desire. All ISPs implement traffic shaping, prioritizing certain types of service (ToS) over others. Downloads may be given a lower priority, perhaps your ISP takes this to an extreme? Although, most ISPs can and do throttle Peer-to-Peer (P2P) traffic, particularly during peak usage periods.

NetEqualizer blog on QoS: "Your public Internet provider will not treat ToS bits with any form of priority (The exception would be a contracted MPLS type network). Yes, they could, but if they did then everybody would game the system to get an advantage and they would not have much meaning anyway."

The ISP already applies QoS to your incoming traffic, which is probably why Netflix streams don't get throttled (being higher priority media). Your router handles QoS on outgoing packets.

Downloads can easily be throttled by your ISP, if they so desire. All ISPs implement traffic shaping, prioritizing certain types of service (ToS) over others. Downloads may be given a lower priority, perhaps your ISP takes this to an extreme? Although, most ISPs can and do throttle Peer-to-Peer (P2P) traffic, particularly during peak usage periods.

NetEqualizer blog on QoS: "Your public Internet provider will not treat ToS bits with any form of priority (The exception would be a contracted MPLS type network). Yes, they could, but if they did then everybody would game the system to get an advantage and they would not have much meaning anyway."
Extreme? Yeah. It's not only downloading. Speedtest or youtube is throttled the first 5 seconds. Unless you're using the max 10mbps for that 5 seconds it won't let you use the 20mbps or 50mbps. Although downloading is fine since it always use more than 10mbps on a period of time.

Tbh, I'm having difficulty understanding what you're asking. If I'm hearing you correctly:
Your ISP initially throttles all traffic to 10Mbps - except for Netflix - for 5 seconds? Then what happens after 5 seconds, do download rates suddenly or gradually increase to 50 Mbps?

Why your ISP caps the initial download rate to 10Mbps, 20% of your provisioned rate of 50Mbps, is a mystery to me. Ask your ISP maybe?