What's new

Spotify and SONOS issues on RTN66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rugbyleaguer

New Around Here
So I decided against my better judgement to go for an ASUS Router as the BT Hub 3 just kept dropping out every now and again. I have a SONOS system set up with 2 Play 3 and 1 Play 5 Zoneplayers and a Bridge to the router. All works fine with the BT Hub and I can browse music on Spotify and it will connect to check for updates no problem. If I hook up the ASUS router, signal is spot on it detects everything I can play music from my NAS but if I try browse Spotify it cant connect or if I try to play a radio station it cant connect. It must be some setting thats blocking all Internet streamed services but I cant see it.

The Netgear GUI seems so more user friendly than this one (I previously went for NG as they are always a doddle to set up and 9/10 rock solid). Any help is greatly appreciated. I have tried adding a DMZ, switching off the firewall completely but SONOS won't connect to Spotify or the Radio Stations it cant even check for an update.

The BT Hub is inferior in all aspects yet unfortunately does the job at the minute. I read all sorts of reviews recommending this router I am reluctant to return it without giving it another go.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest ver and got round all the usual GUI problems but cant seem to get my SONOS to work with it!:confused:

Last edited:
I'm not familiar at all with Sonos devices, but if it has an IP address setting make sure it's set to DHCP/Automatic, and that it does obtain an IP from your router, not from your modem (if that one has a DHCP service as well, disable it).

If you are using static IPs, then make sure the IP is in the same subnet as your router, and that it has your router's IP as gateway.

To be honest I just swapped the routers over I didn't power any of the equipment down I just assumed that when the new router booted up it would reassign new ip's automatically are you saying that wouldnt be the case?

To be honest I just swapped the routers over I didn't power any of the equipment down I just assumed that when the new router booted up it would reassign new ip's automatically are you saying that wouldnt be the case?

If you had ever set a static IP, then it might not work if that IP was in a different subnet, or if the router has a different IP. Make sure they are all set to auto/DHCP.

I will give it a go, although I did notice when I looked at the GUI it didn't pre populate any subnet mask settings which I found odd. Will pop up a screenshot if I have any more issues, thanks for your reply.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest ver and got round all the usual GUI problems but cant seem to get my SONOS to work with it!:confused:

Hi Rugbyleaguer,

In the same boat as you. N66U with firmware 220, but I am having problems with the GUI and Spotify. When I ran FW 176 (or 167) that the router shipped with, weirdly Spotify worked but I still had the GUI problem. So I have Sonos and spotify too.

I'm looking into this and have contacted Asus support about the GUI, but will put a second request in for the Spotify problem. Out of interest how did you get around the GUI problem, apart from rebooting the Asus without the sonos system connected ;)

Regards

Stu