What's new

SSH or OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carov2007

Occasional Visitor
I need some guidance, please.:confused:

There are several pieces of information going around, but finally I can’t understand the difference between SSH or OpenVPN in easy terms. The pages that I’ve found about the differences are either too technical or unclear.

I’m using an Asus AC56U with latest Merlin FW, with 2 notebooks, one that I bring with me when I travel. What option would be better for my needs? SSH, OpenVPN, any other? If there were one that is kind of one size fits all, great. If not, which one should I choose for each usage?

I’d like the following usage (in order of importance)
1) A secure connection so as when using public wi-fi at a hotel or attraction I don’t have to enter my bank account password in a public wi-fi connection. If my home notebook turned off, better.

2) Download my trips photos while abroad to my home notebook, as a backup in addition to my trip notebook. In this case, I’d assume that I’d have to use the wake up on LAN feature.
Currently I’m using Onedrive / Google Drive and I upload the photos and video after compressing them with winrar and a password.
Is it worth the change or shall I keep the cloud backup option?
In any case, let’s assume that my clouds options were full and I need to download something anyway to my home notebook

3) May be off topic to this post, avoiding country limitations when surfing through the web at my home (not travelling like the other 2 questions). Let’s say I’d like to watch a program aired only for one country which is obviously not mine.
I’ve seen lots of pages suggesting the use of proxys for this. But I wonder if I setup an OpenVPN with a location abroad I could have a better alternative.

Finally, because I have not set up any SSH nor OpenVPN yet, I’d like to know in which one or the 2 shall I pay more attention to, according to my needs.

Thank you all,

PS: Please do not hit me too hard if something that I said is completely stupid. As I said, I’m confused!

You want a VPN of some kind.

For what you are describing you would need to set your home router to be a VPN server and the notebooks to be clients when not at home. OpenVPN is best if you can get client software on your notebooks. PPTP should not be used, the crypto can be easily broken these days

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!