What's new

SSH & Rsync: Permission denied

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paulo

New Around Here
Hi,

I have configured a Rsync-job from a QNap to an Asus router that worked fine untill now. Now it results in an error message:
[Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "Name Job". Encountered error "sh: rsync: not found" Attempting to retry. Error code: 1.

When I test the connection from the QNap Storage Space to the Asus router it shows also an error : Test connection. Permission denied.

The asus log shows a valid login but disconnects:
Jul 18 15:38:05 dropbear[14813]: Child connection from 192.168.1.1xx:40162
Jul 18 15:38:05 dropbear[14813]: Password auth succeeded for 'Asus' from 192.168.1.1xx:40162
Jul 18 15:38:05 dropbear[14813]: Exit (Asus) from <192.168.1.1xx:40162>: Disconnect received

Entware rsync is well installed. Nothing has changed, but the firmware: With Putty I can make a SSH connecttion.

Qnap states the user needs to be entitled to perform SSH encrypted backups jobs.
Can I check that somewhere on the Asus Router ?

Kind regards, Paul
Firmware:
Asus: RT-AX86U_386.7_0
QNap: 5.0.0.2055

Hi, Thx, for the help. I did a reset of the QNap, resulting in an update of all files in the /etc/ssh-directory. Unfortunately, it does not make a difference. Paul

I have configured a Rsync-job from a QNap to an Asus router that worked fine untill now. Now it results in an error message:
[Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "Name Job". Encountered error "sh: rsync: not found" Attempting to retry. Error code: 1.

@Paulo There is an SSH PATH bug in 386.7 which will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime go back to 386.5_2 and see if that solves your problem.

hmm...
"sh: rsync: not found"
which device is reporting this? Seems there's a missing module causing the failure rather than the keys in this case.
Qnap states the user needs to be entitled to perform SSH encrypted backups jobs.
Should be as simple as using your router login unless you created a "backup" account on the router.
Password auth succeeded for 'Asus'
This rules out a PW issue coming from the QNAP.

All things point to the QNAP at this point. Credentials seem fine it's a missing module to let rsync work. Knowing QNAP uses packages just like any other linux based system just remove the package and reinstall and it should work again. If you can SSH and get into the CLI it's probably just as easy.

Here's some breadcrumbs to updating it - https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=133932

Or... revert back like @ColinTaylor mentioned. Probably easier that fixing things properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online