What's new

Stable merlin FW version for AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kolya

New Around Here
I have run into many stability issues with recent Merlin FW software on my AC68U . The latest version (380.69_2) locks up (reboots) several times a day on its own. (My environment is an IPAD pro / wired Windows 10 computer)

Can anyone recommend a stable FW release post 380.65_0 that I could upgrade to without running into many problems?

Thanks in advance.

I think 380.69_2 is considered as stable and so far no one have similar issue as you.
I would suggest you do a reflash and factory reset and try again.

When did you start having issues? Was it just after flashing 380.69_2?

You might want to take DJ’s advice and reset to factory defaults.

What do people mean exactly when they say "reset to factory defaults"? Do they mean clicking on the Restore factory defaults button on the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting webpage in the UI? Or do they mean something else. I have used the Restore button before but still run into stability issues frequently with the newer firmware releases. Is it recommended that I do some sort of hardware reset as well? Prior to 380.69_2 I was running 380.68_4 but I was also encountering stability issues with that release. I run a very plain vanilla config with minimal feature use but I want things to be rock solid.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a stable FW release post 380.65_0
380.69 and 69_2 rock solid since the first day.
I suggest as Donny says, flash again-factory reset and reconfig from the beginning.(dont upload settings)
Otherwise 380.68 was a firwmare with which I have never had any problems.

Do they mean clicking on the Restore factory defaults button on the Administration
yes
But my favorite method for erasing everything is : (from the wiki)If your router fails to boot due to corrupted/invalid nvram settings, then you will have to turn off the router, press the WPS button , then turn on the router. Wait about 15* seconds(power led will flash slowly), then release the WPS button. Reconfig from beginning.
When everything is reconfig, its not bad to power cycle the router

Last edited:
O.K. Let me put it simply - is there some recipe of hardware resets / software resets / new FW flashes that people certify should produce a stable platform on an AC68U without anyone second guessing the user when they report stability problems after upgrading to a new FW release?

You could always try Merlin’s 382.2-Beta3 firmware.

When I ran it, it was solid. After you update, reset to factory default. Use the initialize option in 382, that will reset to factory defaults and will do this as well per Merlin:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-administration-restore-vs-initialize.41944/#post-355999

This option is new with 382_18219. Initialize will also remove the existing content of the /jffs/.sys/ folder which contains various data such as the (forecoming) Notification Center, Web History, etc... Restore will only erase the nvram configuration.

If you still have issues, might be hardware related.

Last edited:
380.69_2 loaded on an RT-AC68U here (originally the T-Mobile version) with no problems. Mine has never spontaneously rebooted on its own. It's had several versions of Merlin code on it over the last year, without issue. These tend to run pretty warm, is yours running too hot perhaps? Here are my current temps, with the router pretty much doing nothing:

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 50 °C - 52 °C - 75 °C

380.69_2 loaded on an RT-AC68U here (originally the T-Mobile version) with no problems. Mine has never spontaneously rebooted on its own. It's had several versions of Merlin code on it over the last year, without issue. These tend to run pretty warm, is yours running too hot perhaps? Here are my current temps, with the router pretty much doing nothing:

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 50 °C - 52 °C - 75 °C
Can we still flash the T-Mobile router ? I made several attempts no success ASUS TM-AC 1900 thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!