Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

State of the project - 2016 in review

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Dec 24, 2016.

1. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Lots of comments on this thread - but the statement above perhaps rings true for many of us - been there myself...

Hoping all is well on that front - and I think the SNB community appreciates your continued presence and contributions.

My sincere wishes for good health and great opportunities in 2017...

All the best - sfx

ubimea, Radiohead and buddyp like this.
  2. martinr

martinr Very Senior Member

25,000 disciples! Amazing, yet, on reflection, hardly surprising.

joegreat likes this.
  3. Stefan1200

Stefan1200 Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your work. I use Merlin WRT on my AC87U.

Are the security fixes of the official build 4180 already included in 380.64?

4. Neurophile

Neurophile Occasional Visitor

Asus owes you a commission. Recently my trusty N66U suffered damage due to power fluctuations and was only able to hold settings for a day or two before it eventually went into an endless reboot. I got an AC3100 to replace it (was looking for an AC88U but my local Fry's carries literally every Asus router except that one). I'll be flashing Merlin FW soon after I give the unit a few days of burn-in.

Merlin is the only reason I have another Asus router. I would be running either a mesh, or one of the Netgear WRT routers, but I just couldn't give up the flexibility, ease of use, and security-conscious update philosophy that Merlin provides.

heysoundude and joegreat like this.
  5. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Only the new browser-side XSS protection. The rest wasn't merged in because it was breaking various pages on the webui.

6. wpte

wpte Occasional Visitor

Hi RMerlin,

I run your flavour of AsusWRT on every router I have in active use, 3 at the moment :)
    Recently I've been reporting a wifi bug on the RT-AC87U to Asus, after some weeks they gave me a beta firmware with the version 9.0.6.4_380_4005.
    I was kinda hoping Asus would have released it this Christmas, instead they didn't publish the fix yet, only 3.0.0.4_380_4180 as you know.
    But the fix is in the first part of the version number (I'm not exactly sure to which that number refers to though, wifi driver version?).
    I do notice better wifi performance/stability and very quick wifi settings changes on that firmware, so that's something to look out for next year as well I guess :)

I used to be quite active in the improved Oleg firmware scene, when I was still a computer engineer student.
    Nowadays I'm a busy working man and although I've better programming skills, I can't be bother to fiddle around with routers that much anymore.
    So I want to thank you for your work, since it makes most of the things I'd like to do with my router super easy and stress-free :)
    Besides that, I've a NAS nowadays for all other tasks, home-build nevertheless because I need some fiddling around still ;)

Maybe, for future development it would be nice to have static code analysis to fix potential bugs and security issues throughout the code.
    This one is free for open source projects: https://scan.coverity.com/
    Maybe worth looking at :)

In conclusion:
    Happy holidays and new year :D

7. lev

lev New Around Here

Thanks for your awesome work. This update is very interesting to have a hint of the future. Thanks for taking time to do that. Is there some place you are tracking what features you are working on or considering? For instance, I am very interested in seeing dnscrypt and unbound incorporated in to the gui. Do you have a place where the community can suggest things like this or vote on new feature suggestions or would you even consider that valuable?

8. roscoe211

roscoe211 New Around Here

Thanks Merlin. Been using your FW on my RT-N66R for 3 years and just loaded it on my new TM-AC1900 turned AC68U. Donated.

9. RMerlin

Not in particular. Closest you can have is to watch the code as it gets committed to Github - I tend to push my code as I work, rather than just on releases.

I tend to have a very strict set of guidelines when it comes to what I want to add or change in the firmware. The most important element is the need to remain close enough to Asus's code to remain able to stay in sync with them. That means any architectural changes to the code is out of the question. Same with anything that requires changing a lot of the existing code (versus just adding it beside it).

And I tend to have a very specific view of what I want to see in a router's firmware, and what I definitely do NOT want.

So any vote-based, or even funding-backed feature request isn't going to have any effect on my actual decision when it comes to what goes in, sorry.

DNSCrypt specifically is something I currently don't intend to add.

Weaselboy, lev and amplatfus like this.
  10. bozolino

bozolino Occasional Visitor

thank you so much for all the time and love you've put into this - and for being the nicest bloke ever here on the forums. my very best wishes to you for 2017 & years to come!

sincerely
    manu

11. CiASpook

CiASpook Occasional Visitor

I just have to say thanks for the GREAT work on these firmware releases. Looking forward to testing new releases in 2017! Happy new year!

12. cmkelley

cmkelley Occasional Visitor

I know when I was looking to replace my pfsense-based firewall (running on an old pentium computer, using tons of power), my research led me to conclude I had to have an Asus router because only there could I get the Merlin firmware. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to this project.

Happy New Year to you, sir!

13. wayner

wayner Regular Contributor

Thanks for all of your work on this - I have been using Merlin on my RT-N66U for years and I just recently upgraded to the latest version.

Chris313AllNight likes this.
  14. s4mpson

s4mpson Occasional Visitor

The flexibility of Asus routers to run custom firmware and hardware specs led me to Asus units. My research brought me to your particular development and the general community support sealed the deal. I've always been a supporter of gnu/open source software and back in my actual full time development/IT days I contributed as much as I realistically could. You certainly represent the open development (sorta open) ideals well and put in considerable time when I'm sure you have 2309482390 other things you could be doing.

Even though I'm having some issues right now I like the software and will continue to use it. Thanks man!

paulbates and gffmac like this.
  15. uwish

uwish Occasional Visitor

It would be interesting to get an estimate on the pervasiveness of the Merlin code. I know for me, I have passed it along to most of the people I know who run Asus hardware and all have been running it judiciously. It's nice to have code that just works, sometimes developers are far to quick in releasing code that isn't fully tested.

16. JustinDevelops

JustinDevelops Occasional Visitor

I just wanted to add another thanks to Merlin for all you do for the community! I have used your firmware since a week after I got my 68U last year and havent looked back!

17. Gitsum

Gitsum Regular Contributor

You ever consider doing something with Netgear's pathetic GUI? They do seem to have some good hardware.

18. Bluetrack

Bluetrack New Around Here

19. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Seems to me to be theft honestly... of both Asus IP and RMerlin's contributions to it...

And he begs for money...

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 7.18.54 PM.png

20. RMerlin

I asked him once to publish his source code, and he never replied.

Last time someone asked him a few weeks ago, he flat out posted that he didn't care about the GPL.

So my advice is to stay away from this firmware, until he complies.

Shonk, unsynaps, ColinTaylor and 8 others like this.