What's new

Static arp after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Clayton, thanks a lot for your response

I did it and effectively find the file. Thanks.
But this solution needs to have a pendrive inserted permanently.

I am trying to find a solution to execute my arp settings commands directly in the start-up without having a pendrive inserted in USB port.

Thaks a lot any case

Best regards

Hi Clayton, thanks a lot for your response

I did it and effectively find the file. Thanks.
But this solution needs to have a pendrive inserted permanently.

I am trying to find a solution to execute my arp settings commands directly in the start-up without having a pendrive inserted in USB port.

Thaks a lot any case

Best regards
Did WOL work for you over the internet, not wifi? I had issues but it was because the latest firmware update erased my port forwarding settings. I think what you're trying to do may not be possible with the Asus firmware. If you check your arp table, you would see PERM for your WOL device. If you don't see it, it will not work remotely after a short period of time. I got tired trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish, others did too. I think it's possible with a third party firmware like Merlin, but not 100% sure. Back a couple firmwares ago, you didn't have to install Download Master to get WOL. All you needed was a particular file with the WOL string in a particular directory on a USB device like a 16mb MicroSD card (that's what I used). I previously used the Asus RT-N66U (still do as a powerline Access Point) and when I upgraded to the AC3200, it was another challenge for Asus used a different file and directory to have the ability to remotely WOL. Seems like Asus is often trying to make it difficult, I guess so you would have to use their app AiCloud to accomplish a remote WOL. Sometimes they screw it all up for the previous firmware had bugs where you could not WOL from the Network Tools on the router config page or AiCloud's Manual WOL in the Plugins section. I'm not totally sure if it works in the latest firmware for I never tested it but I assume it does for it was supposed to be one of the fixes in the latest firmware release. My main goal was for a PERM remote WOL. I hope all this helped and good luck on your goal but I don't think it's possible with the Asus firmware. You'd think they would have such a setting in the router's configuration page considering it's a common feature that a lot of owners want, but they have to make it difficult. All the best.

Hi Vlayton:

Thanks for your information.

I have the official firmware from Asus and I have WOL now all time OK without problems, using a script thet set the ARP's being called at startup wit its value in nvram variable "script_usbmount" as I said before. I dont'have suffered a change in my firmawre so I don't know if some of the parameters will be lost in this case.

Any case, I have recorded all the steps and I can repeat them in a few monets to set again the WOL afeter a change.

But i was trying to find another posibility without having a pendrive inserted all time.

Thanks a lot

Hi Vlayton:

Thanks for your information.

I have the official firmware from Asus and I have WOL now all time OK without problems, using a script thet set the ARP's being called at startup wit its value in nvram variable "script_usbmount" as I said before. I dont'have suffered a change in my firmawre so I don't know if some of the parameters will be lost in this case.

Any case, I have recorded all the steps and I can repeat them in a few monets to set again the WOL afeter a change.

But i was trying to find another posibility without having a pendrive inserted all time.

Thanks a lot
How did you make out? I now have issues with the latest firmware for it keeps deleting my port forwarding settings and thus WOL won't work. I've spoken to Asus a couple times about it, so I'm hoping a new firmware comes out soon. Not sure if this is just me or if others are experiencing the same. Cheers!

Hi Clayton,

I apologize for the delay in answering this question.

I think I have detected what is happening, at least in my case. I've done several tests and the scenario is always the same.

I have the latest official firmware and ASUS. After a restart of the router, the command that reloads the ARPs using the system to have a permanent USB works correctly. I check this from Windows with a command made by me in Python language.

The problem is that after a reboot of the router IT IS NECESSARY to start the NAS manually at least once. If this is not the case, WOL does not work. But if the NAS is manually booted and shut down, WOL will work properly until the next reboot of the router.

I insist that IN MY CASE that's how it works. I did not need to make any modifications to the router parameters to reassign ports or any other operation. Only manually boot the NAS once after a router reboot.

Regards

As of 3.0.0.4.384_20308 this no longer works-- the S50downloadmaster script in /opt is overwritten every time the router reboots so the added line gets wiped. It seems like Asus does not want us to do WoL this way.

Static ARP doesn't add much value, and adds a lot of maintenance overhead as clients move and change - there are other better ways to manage things there for WOL and whatnot...

sfx2000 can you link to a reference as to the better way to do this? There is a web interface of course but that loads very slowly when you access from the WAN side, and long term I'd rather not have the admin panel exposed to WAN. I am using the new Aimesh functionality (best wifi coverage I've ever had) so I don't believe Merlin is an option for now.

Last edited:
So I just upgraded to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.382.50702) since I've been having router reboot issues and it seems like the arp command not running has more to do with the version of Download Master. Updating to the latest version (3.1.0.104) resulted in losing my arp command from S50downloadmaster. I did some digging around and it looks like they moved it. The new file location to edit S50downloadmaster is in "/tmp/mnt/sda/asusware.arm/etc/init.d".

as this is my first post here - I want to say Hi to all and thank to all of you for your support :)

According to the previous posts I have added the arp -s command to these 3 places:
/opt/.asusrouter
/opt/S50downloadmaster.1
/tmp/mnt/sda/asusware.arm/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster

After the router reboots - I can still see my added entries in all of these files.
I have no idea which one works (maybe all 3 of them?) - but it works :)

---edit---
I used a touch command to check which script actually works.
It seems that it is the only one:
/tmp/mnt/sda/asusware.arm/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster

however, I noticed that sometimes USB drive is mounted at /sda and sometimes at /sda1 - I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
however, I noticed that sometimes USB drive is mounted at /sda and sometimes at /sda1 - I'm not sure why.

I've seen that occur in other Linux distributions when you unmount/re-mount a USB device. Not sure if that is exactly what is going on here.

hmm something very weird has happened. I started to use this router normally in my home network when suddenly I lost my WiFi connection one one of my end devices. In the same time I noticed that wired connections are gone too... Unfortunately, rebooting the router didn't help: WiFi was not visible and LAN connections did not work as DHCP server was not providing the IPs... What is worse, resetting router to the default config also did not resolve the issue. Finally, a rescue mode helped and I was able to force the firmware update and restore the router functionality (described here: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814) . I have no idea what happened - I was just browsing the web and suddenly lost all connections. I was using the newest firmware available 3.0.0.4.384_32799 before this happened and I used the same firmware in rescue mode. What is more, after bringing the router back to life and while configuring it again (you know, IP binding, port forwarding, ISP settings etc.) the same happened again! After using the rescue mode one more time and configuring the router from scratch - now it seems to be ok, but... it really worries me. Can anybody explain me what happened? Bad firmware? Hardware issue? Something else?

I am unsure how to use the S50downloadmaster way of keeping my ARP entries even after router reboot. I went to my Asus RT AC88U settings and installed S50downloadmaster under the USB Applications. Then I used telnet and logged in to my router. I typed cd /opt and it showed /tmp/mnt/[myusbdrivename]/asusware.arm#. I am not sure what to do after this. I can’t seem to cd /etc/init.d. If I type vi S50downloader, it shows many rows of - then S50downloadmaster at the bottom, but I cannot scroll down, and I don’t see anything to edit or append. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I am unsure how to use the S50downloadmaster way of keeping my ARP entries even after router reboot. I went to my Asus RT AC88U settings and installed S50downloadmaster under the USB Applications. Then I used telnet and logged in to my router. I typed cd /opt and it showed /tmp/mnt/[myusbdrivename]/asusware.arm#. I am not sure what to do after this. I can’t seem to cd /etc/init.d. If I type vi S50downloader, it shows many rows of - then S50downloadmaster at the bottom, but I cannot scroll down, and I don’t see anything to edit or append. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

When you are in /tmp/mnt/[myusbdrivename]/asusware.arm, type ls <enter> . What shows up? "etc" should be one of the directories in there. If not, not sure what could be going on. If you updated to latest firmware, it's possible ASUS moved the location.

Should look like this:
R4xbdBH.png

So when I type ls, I do see etc in blue. I also see S50downloadmaster.1 in green letters. What should I type next?

Great! I followed your instructions. I was able to scroll down to the end, then pressed Enter, then typed the arp -s command. I tried pressing Esc button, but that didn’t seem to do anything. So then I typed :wq. I now see the arp -s line at the end. Does this sound right? This should allow the static arp to remain even with reboot of my asus router, right? I just keep the USB drive plugged in. Thanks for your help.

Great! I followed your instructions. I was able to scroll down to the end, then pressed Enter, then typed the arp -s command. I tried pressing Esc button, but that didn’t seem to do anything. So then I typed :wq. I now see the arp -s line at the end. Does this sound right? This should allow the static arp to remain even with reboot of my asus router, right? I just keep the USB drive plugged in. Thanks for your help.
just make sure you have the correct mac and ip address of the device you want to persist in that arp -s line. You should also reboot your router and run arp -a to see your device in the arp table, which will mean the change you made works.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!