What's new

Static Route Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

voyto

Occasional Visitor
I hope I'm not posting in the wrong area - hopefully someone could help me out? :)

We've been previously using an 86U running Merlin as our main business router - flawless. However we're now moving back to using BT Smart Hub as this offers us 4G failover with "BT 4G Assure" - vital for us as we're moving our phone system into the cloud.

My question is regarding our VPN setup - hopefully we can set up this way....

Our main network is 192.168.48.0/24 with DHCP managed on the BT hub.
From one of our switches, I have a cable running to the WAN port on the ASUS 86U.
The ASUS is setup in router mode, with a static IP on the WAN of 192.168.48.198. LAN is 192.168.49.0/24
The BT hub has port forward set up to push UDP 1194 through to the ASUS (192.168.48.198)

Clients are able to log into the VPN server just fine. However, we can't access anything on the 48.0 network.

I unsuccessfully attempted to set up a static route (on the ASUS) under LAN > ROUTE with the following settings....

192.168.48.0 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.48.198 - 1 - WAN

I've disabled the firewall on the BT hub just to rule this out. Can anyone see anything obvious I'm doing wrong or missing?

Thank you in advance! :)

I've just tried using the PING tool on the ASUS to get to a server on the 48.0 network and it replies back successfully!?

Could it be something to do with the VPN clients having an IP of 10.8.0.0/16?

Fixed - in the VPN settings I still had "Client will use VPN to access" set to LAN only.

Changed to "Both" and now we can talk to 48.0. No static route required at all.