What's new

Step by Step Netgear VPN setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ERDrPC

New Around Here
I'm installing a home made DVR using a rack mounted win 7 pro 64bit computer. I have a Netgear FS336G router.

I have a few questions...tell me if my steps are correct

1. I don't have a static IP address from my service provider. I will need to sign up for a dyndns address. Going with their simple pro account. I will have a program on my server which will update the IP as needed.
2. I will login into my router and create a VPN. I have a pdf on how to do this.
3. I have to have port 80 open for the cameras to connect to the server and port 22609 open for clients to connect to server. I hate the idea of opening up a port. I know that 80 is a common port, should I change it if possible? Is there a way to only open certain ports when connecting to my server only?
4. If I'm using VPN to connect in, do I also need to setup a SSL (self-signed) for increased security. My DVR software will allow a self-signed SSL for browsers but not access from mobile device.

Once I have the dyndns and VPN setup, how do I actually use it? Say I'm at a hotel and want to view my cameras, I will fire up my VPN client on my computer and it will establish a connection. Once connected, how do I get into my server (essentially RDP) so I can see the windows desktop? I have multiple computers on the network, how do I chose which one to connect to? Or is it as simple as once I connected via VPN then I just fire up the dvr software on my computer and because it's VPN, it should just work like I was at home.

What if I'm on a public computer...How do I connect to my network to be able to view my cameras? I can type in the dyndns hostname but then what?

I'm an extreme newbie!
Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!