What's new

Stock AX86S offline, needed power cycle this morning, wire lan down too

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JS_racer

Regular Contributor
well, this was a first, going way back to a n66. wife turned the tv on, no ethernet message... umm... well, that's wired, and down.
checked wife's tablet, 5ghz, connected without internet.. hmm, thinking charter/spectrum might be having issues..
went to the basement, pc wired direct to router, unable to get to the router... guess its local. router lights all on, white, modem lights look good.
power switch off, then back on, everything working as normal...

asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388_21709
I did have a reboot the other day, not sure why/what... 5ghz on like 48, was 160, 80 after, could have been coincidence.

any thoughts, ideas, or ?? I would reset the router, is there a way to keep the devices naming, guest network , just things like that ?? i have like 40 devices, and am using all 3 2.4ghz guest networks.
I am still within my return window. debating a router/switch and an access point or 2. tp-link safestream omada or ubiquiti or something. but I cant find a clear guide for what equipment I would need. possibly a synology ax6600 or 2. the dream machine se seems a bit overkill, not sure about security cams. I have a few wyze v2/v3 cams for our needs. currently at the router, 2 gig and 2 100 connections, plus a usb external drive. (drive I can connect to my synology nas) everything is home run in the mechanical room, so could use more ports, in the future.

my ac86u that had been rock solid for many years started loosing the 2.4ghz band, it would reboot. added a washer/dryer and a kasa switched plugs. washer is all alone on a isolated guest network. that was like a month ago.. it would loose the wifi light on the washer, but still report local and online like connected. strange, but who knows.

anyways, now I have a few more sips of coffee in me, I'm starting to wake up. I appreciate the time, and any information would be great. thank you, and happy holidays.
internet currently is 500, might do 1 gig charter soon

well, this was a first, going way back to a n66. wife turned the tv on, no ethernet message... umm... well, that's wired, and down.
checked wife's tablet, 5ghz, connected without internet.. hmm, thinking charter/spectrum might be having issues..
went to the basement, pc wired direct to router, unable to get to the router... guess its local. router lights all on, white, modem lights look good.
power switch off, then back on, everything working as normal...

asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388_21709
I did have a reboot the other day, not sure why/what... 5ghz on like 48, was 160, 80 after, could have been coincidence.

any thoughts, ideas, or ?? I would reset the router, is there a way to keep the devices naming, guest network , just things like that ?? i have like 40 devices, and am using all 3 2.4ghz guest networks.
I am still within my return window. debating a router/switch and an access point or 2. tp-link safestream omada or ubiquiti or something. but I cant find a clear guide for what equipment I would need. possibly a synology ax6600 or 2. the dream machine se seems a bit overkill, not sure about security cams. I have a few wyze v2/v3 cams for our needs. currently at the router, 2 gig and 2 100 connections, plus a usb external drive. (drive I can connect to my synology nas) everything is home run in the mechanical room, so could use more ports, in the future.

my ac86u that had been rock solid for many years started loosing the 2.4ghz band, it would reboot. added a washer/dryer and a kasa switched plugs. washer is all alone on a isolated guest network. that was like a month ago.. it would loose the wifi light on the washer, but still report local and online like connected. strange, but who knows.

anyways, now I have a few more sips of coffee in me, I'm starting to wake up. I appreciate the time, and any information would be great. thank you, and happy holidays.
internet currently is 500, might do 1 gig charter soon
First recommendation is to get on the current firmware. After upgrade wait a few minutes then pull the power from the mains and leave the router power switch on and the brick connected. Sometimes a power cycle fixes things. If you do reset do not reuse an old settings file.
Sounds like you may need to simplify your network.

ahh, I see there is a new firmware a few days old. I'll try that.
network doesn't seem too complex. iot isolated on guest1, sense and kasa bundled for testing on guest2, dang washer isolated on guest3.

I'll try the firmware and power cycle, thanks for the suggestion

well, I chickened out on the new firmware, reading the thread on it.
Once again my router crapped out again this morning. no strange lights or anything, wired pc complained of dns unreachable, wireless complained about no internet. unable to access the gui in any way, including the ip from wired or wireless. had to power cycle, then back up and working. it was doing well the last few days, week to where i was thinking of keeping it, then today it crapped out again. guess if I didn't change anything, expecting different results would be a stretch.

so that's twice in like a week, I can't keep this up. Can't have a network that randomly needs a router reboot like this. The wife wouldn't know what do and she works from home.
I have most of my devices named in asus and like 6 reserved in manual dhcp. is there any way to back this up ??

Your router/network is obviously not in a good state. I would not back up anything from it (except via screenshots).

Try an electrical reset. Pull the power from the router and let it sit as long as possible with its power switch in the 'on' position (minimum, 2 minutes).

If the glitches continue, a full reset will be the fastest method to determine if the router itself has a hardware issue, or if the settings/setup got corrupted. When testing after a full reset, only change the minimum needed to connect your devices to the 'net.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!