What's new

Stock Config to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

49Pen

New Around Here
Can you load AsusWrt stock Firmware config file into a Router running Wrt-Merlin?

i am currently running stock firmware on Ac88U and thinking of upgrading to Merlin, my config settings are quite complex mainly because of Requirements of SONOSNET

current AiMesh setup
Main Router AC88U
AiMesh Node 1 - AC88U
AiMesh Node 2 - AC68U

all wired Backhaul
thinking of upgrading to be AX88U main router
AiMesh Node 1 - AC88U
AiMesh Node 2 - AC88U
Retire AC68U
advice on config file would be appreciated

Switching from Merlin back to stock firmware is as easy as pie! Not sure that anything is going to change regards your SONOS though, it'll still be just as complicated.

Thanks for the reply but I actually want to go other way, Use my current Stock Config file amd load into Merlin

Thanks for the reply but I actually want to go other way, Use my current Stock Config file amd load into Merlin
It's still dead easy! Merlin is an enhanced firmware, so much of what you'll see looks exactly the same. This includes uploading the Merlin Firmware in the first place which is done from Administration>Firmware Upgrade page (you'll have to have downloaded the new firmware first - the other methods of firmware upgrade also continue to work).

Even the settings transfer straight across (in most cases), though I'd suggest you do back up the settings, and write down your connection details - personal choice, but I'd still prefer a clean set up the first time.

*Clearing cookies and resetting your connection (wired or not) can help with your first time connect if you have issues after uploading any firmware.

**Short of a power-failure during upload, it's foolproof!

Ok Awesome Thank you very much.
So download Merlin
Right down connection settings ( just in case )
Use firmware update function in Stock firmware
And update to Merlin ?

To be clear, just install the new firmware manually in the GUI and your old settings will be preserved (or migrated if necessary). There's no need to reload an old settings file and I suggest you don't try to do this.

More importantly, if you're changing routers never load a settings file created on one router on a different router, even if they are the same model. A settings file is a backup for it's original router only, it's not transferable.

Can you load AsusWrt stock Firmware config file into a Router running Wrt-Merlin?

i am currently running stock firmware on Ac88U and thinking of upgrading to Merlin, my config settings are quite complex mainly because of Requirements of SONOSNET

current AiMesh setup
Main Router AC88U
AiMesh Node 1 - AC88U
AiMesh Node 2 - AC68U

all wired Backhaul
thinking of upgrading to be AX88U main router
AiMesh Node 1 - AC88U
AiMesh Node 2 - AC88U
Retire AC68U
advice on config file would be appreciated
The answer is no. Not a good idea to use a saved config file on a different firmware. Always best to do a hard factory reset after flashing the new firmware followed by a manual configuration.

Personally, I always keep a copy of the previous firmware generation alongside its last working settings file backup. So if things go wrong I can roll back to the previous firmware and its settings in a matter of minutes. I'm fully aware that you cannot transfer the settings between not only different models but even firmware versions. As I believe I mentioned earlier during the upgrade the settings should migrate but its still best to prepare in advance, and perhaps the most important thing I missed was to ensure you know how to hardware reset the router if that is needed!

Thanks again, yes I know how to do a hardware reset. I’ve been running my current set for about 2yrs at the time when I received the 2x AC88us from online retailer they arrived loaded with Merlin in Chinese, I unfortunately can’t speak Chinese, that with at the time AiMesh wasn’t available in Merlin ( as I understood at the time) I reflagged with the stock firmware. My real only need to upgrade to Merlin at this point is I’d love to have Traffic Monthly Data saved for the year, Currently working from home in Australia means we can Claim on tax % of internet usage. So if I can get yearly data used by device to get % of total usage I can claim that amount.
Anyway thanks again, I’ll try and write down all my Settings so when I upgrade to Merlin every thing goes smoothly ( Sonosnet is very temperamental and I spent hours with SONOS support getting the settings correct)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!