What's new

Strange and Stressful

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
My PC would not connect to the internet, local network, or the router by Firefox, or by ssh through putty. Couldn't connect to anything.
I restored my pc to a couple of days earlier prior, and same situation.
I managed to connect to router on a laptop, and all four cores were pegged out at 100% and the ram was almost full.
Firefox locked up and couldn't ssh into it from there, either, just a blank terminal. I guess it didn't have enough memory for anything.
I turned off the router for a minute or so, turned it back on, rebooted the pc and all is well.
I don't have a clue what happened today, but I hope it don't again.
Being a week old user of nextdns, I blamed it for the outage, but don't know really what happened.
Any pointers?

edit: There are a lot of openvpn server1 tls errors in the log. I turned off the server.

Last edited:
Are you still using the NextDNS installed app?
Yea, it seemed like a good thing, maybe not.
Not after the event, no. At the time you should have tried to run top via SSH to see what process was consuming all the CPU.
I couldn't ssh into it from anywhere. All I got was a blank terminal, no username & password, nothing

Might be a good idea to back up and punt... Factory reset with initialize and limit tha add ons to diversion only and skip Nextdns.

Might be a good idea to back up and punt... Factory reset with initialize and limit tha add ons to diversion only and skip Nextdns.
That might be some good advice. I could skip Nextdns, but I've got accustomed to my other scripts.

That might be some good advice. I could skip Nextdns, but I've got accustomed to my other scripts.
there is such a thing as being...preoccupied... by the workings of your router- does that hit a little close to a bullseye for you, perhaps?

there is such a thing as being...preoccupied... by the workings of your router- does that hit a little close to a bullseye for you, perhaps?
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black?
I do like to learn about networking, especially anything to do with Asus-WRT Merlin.
Although I know very little, I know exponentially more than I did when I came here.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!