What's new

Strange thing Asus Chromebook is showing as wired connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

The strange thing is that the Asus Chromebook is showing as a wired connection but it is not. Does anybody know why it could be?

The strange thing is that the Asus Chromebook is showing as a wired connection but it is not. Does anybody know why it could be?

The client list can be finnicky, a reboot will probably fix it. Possibly it was wired at some point and something got stuck or cached. Even though it is different MAC and IP addresses something else like the client name probably got stuck somewhere.

The client list can be finnicky, a reboot will probably fix it. Possibly it was wired at some point and something got stuck or cached. Even though it is different MAC and IP addresses something else like the client name probably got stuck somewhere.
I have rebooted the router and the Chromebook and still looks like wired. This Chromebook does not even have a network port. Wifi only.

I have rebooted the router and the Chromebook and still looks like wired. This Chromebook does not even have a network port. Wifi only.
I am writing this from a Chrome Book and my Asus AX86U shows it connected to the 5 GHz. Maybe you should try the Asus firmware...

I am writing this from a Chrome Book and my Asus AX86U shows it connected to the 5 GHz. Maybe you should try the Asus firmware...
I was just wondering if somebody else is having this. I'm not going to switch to asus firmware just for that.

Is it connected to the main router or to some node, access point, repeater?
Don't have nodes. I have 2 AX3000s. One is main and another in bridge mode.

I played with mesh a long time ago with both but I don't think it should make a difference now.

Don't have nodes. I have 2 AX3000s. One is main and another in bridge mode.

I played with mesh a long time ago with both but I don't think it should make a difference now.

If it is connecting via the second one it will show up as wired, since that is all the main router knows it as. It should show wireless on the second one.

2nd AX3000 is configured as a media bridge. It does not serve any wifi clients.

Dunno, guess it is a glitch. There is a cache of icons you can wipe but I think that is for the ones on the left (the manufacturer ones). I'm sure there is probably one for the entire client list somewhere.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with something from the media bridge? It is more likely the manufacturer icons are wrong or someone accidentally typed the wrong name into client list. Compare the MAC address to be sure.

Dunno, guess it is a glitch. There is a cache of icons you can wipe but I think that is for the ones on the left (the manufacturer ones). I'm sure there is probably one for the entire client list somewhere.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with something from the media bridge? It is more likely the manufacturer icons are wrong or someone accidentally typed the wrong name into client list. Compare the MAC address to be sure.
No, I only have 3 devices connected to the bridge( Smart TV, Xbox, and audio receiver)
Is there a way to release an IP via ssh? I want to see if that would help.

No, I only have 3 devices connected to the bridge( Smart TV, Xbox, and audio receiver)
Is there a way to release an IP via ssh? I want to see if that would help.

Rebooting the router releases all your leases, and you've already done that. There are several NVRAM variables related to the client list, but only for ones you've customized (renamed). You can see if it is listed in the custom_clientlist NVRAM variable and if so, reset or remove that entry.

But again, just because you don't have a chromebook connected to the bridge, doesn't mean it isn't incorrectly reporting one of those devices as a chromebook. Check the MAC address on the chromebook itself and see if it is really the one you think it is.

Rebooting the router releases all your leases, and you've already done that. There are several NVRAM variables related to the client list, but only for ones you've customized (renamed). You can see if it is listed in the custom_clientlist NVRAM variable and if so, reset or remove that entry.

But again, just because you don't have a chromebook connected to the bridge, doesn't mean it isn't incorrectly reporting one of those devices as a chromebook. Check the MAC address on the chromebook itself and see if it is really the one you think it is.
I will check MAC once wife lets me. ;-)
It is interesting. I did rename it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!